Skip to main content

Hello everyone,
I'm now going to bore everyone senseless talking about my new mic! It arrived this morning, and as always happens, I had to go out so I couldn't play with it until I got home :evil: That's so infuriating!

This mic is much better than I thought it was. In terms of fidelity it's awesome, but what's most attractive is that it's not overly tubey; it's use of the tube is more like valve hi-fi than the tacky U47 parodies that are all over the place. In this country the 4060 is aimed at a much higher end of the market than in the US (it's dearer than either a U87,M147 or a pair of Schoeps for example -I didn't buy it here). The first thing that occurred to me was that it has that wonderful effortless quality that I find very difficult to get in a mic.

Another thing that's great is that it goes surprisingly well with my Apogee Mini-Me. I'm assuming one of the reasons is that it has its own power supply, so it's not sucking the life out of a wall wart driven box. When I eventually get my (allegedly) power hungry MKHs, I think I'll get an external power supply.

Anyway, I'm going to experiment with this on the choir -even if it's not really suitable for that kind of application, although it's off axis response is the amongst the best I've heard in a large diaphragm mic. It screams to be used on piano, but I think it will be a great organ mic.

Anyway, I'm off to play now! When I'm bored, I'll start to focus on the Benchmark ADC and DAC that I'm currently drooling over, then there's the Schoeps and MKHs, the Microtech Gefell omnis -is there no end to this glorious insanity? Maybe I should just mug Jeremy

John

Topic Tags

Comments

ghellquist Tue, 01/18/2005 - 23:47

John,
glad you like the mic. Will try to take hear that one some time.

Just a note.

John Stafford wrote:
I'm assuming one of the reasons is that it has its own power supply, so it's not sucking the life out of a wall wart driven box. When I eventually get my (allegedly) power hungry MKHs, I think I'll get an external power supply.

Phantom power does not draw very much. A bad construction might sag, but any decent construction will have no problems.

P48 phantom = 48V, max 10mA per mic = 0,5W max.

A typical wall wart would be just a wee bit short of 10, so 2 mics should not even be noticable.

Gunnar

Cucco Wed, 01/19/2005 - 05:53

John Stafford wrote: Anyway, I'm off to play now! When I'm bored, I'll start to focus on the Benchmark ADC and DAC that I'm currently drooling over, then there's the Schoeps and MKHs, the Microtech Gefell omnis -is there no end to this glorious insanity? Maybe I should just mug Jeremy :wink:
John

I tried to look for an "emoticon" with my hands in the air as if being mugged, they just don't make it. In all truth, I've only ever had the pleasure of "playing" with the 4060s on a couple occassions, and what I heard, I loved. It's on my short list to own a pair, perhaps I should mug you 8-)

John Stafford Thu, 01/20/2005 - 23:42

Phantom power does not draw very much. A bad construction might sag, but any decent construction will have no problems.

Thanks Gunnar,
I thought there was an issue with response times with smaller power supplies, so a lot of people like to use a separate power supply to improve transients. I come from a more hi-fi background, where people spend thousands on over-specified PSUs for everything, though I'm sure this is overkill in many cases.

I do remember hearing about a test with an eight channel Grace, where the transient performance of six Schoeps mics allegedly improved when two Sennheiser MKHs were disconnected. This is of course hearsay on my part, but it would be interesting to experiment with.

John