Skip to main content

Hi! i am wondering to buy a one of those mics and i can't decide..Its for recording electric and acustic guitars, bass, vocals and piano/sintetizers. I like the sound when it's a bit (or very) high volume...So, which of those would you recommend me?
Thanks!
Toni

Comments

JoeH Tue, 06/22/2004 - 14:34

If you can affort it, go for the 4040. It's a better mic overall, and you wont be sorry. Get two if you can.

The 3030's aren't bad, don't get me wrong. The specs just aren't as good as the 4040's. (Buy two 3030's and use 'em on choirs, drum overheads, whatever...they're a great deal at $199 each in most stores.)

JoeH Tue, 06/22/2004 - 17:07

Well, I wasn't going to push him on the BIG one, but you're right...the 4050 is even better, esp with the adjustable polar patterns. They are one step better indeed. I've got a pair of 4050's for the really important things, and four more 4040's for various things, along with a pair of 3030's just in case...

anonymous Wed, 06/23/2004 - 05:40

AT 3050

I haven't used a 4040 or 4050 but I have tried the 3050's. I like it on acoustic guitars, as a room mic on guitar cabs, and I use a pair as drum overheads. The mic sounds quite good for all of these applications. I've never been very happy with it's sound for vocals though.... Like anything, if you're able to save for the next model up it's probably worthwhile.

Ethan

lorenzo gerace Wed, 06/23/2004 - 10:54

Hi

I have a pair of both.

Slightly different mics even though both are fine; I'd say that the 3035 is a real bargain, in that for that price you get a nice flat uncolored mic that works well for the majority of the applications, from vocals to guitars and over heads; the 4040 is a more colored in the high end mic, it's brighter and more defined, I really like it as piano mic, they really bring out the harmonics when I dig them in on the hammers. A bit too detailed as an overhead mic (for orchestral purposes), but some folks over at the 3dB Audio forum have tried them out as drums OHs and they were enthusiastic.
In the end I think the 4040s are a step above (as stated by the product line) while the 3035s though "project studio" mics are good workhorses anyway.

Hope this helps.

L.G.

x

User login