Skip to main content

Hello Everybody,

I recently found a new (used for demo in a store) Sony Dmx-100, it had some cards, like ADAT...
I like the mixer and that fact that it is pretty simple to manage, there are not that many buttons with double functions, the eq and dynamic sections are very easy to handle.
They can give me a 20% discount on the original price, but I still don't know exactly how much it could cost me..

My questions are:

What would be, more or less, a good price for this mixer, regarding that it is not even beeing produced anymore?

Comparing it to newer, smaller and much cheaper mixers like the Tascam DM-3200, is it still worth the buy? In terms of features both of them got what I need.. because I have a very simple setup with a digi002 with 16 I/O, using the ADAT lightpipe.. :!:

I really need a mixer with eq and dynamics per channell, any ideas?

thanks
Joao :)

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Thu, 06/23/2005 - 11:49

I think that Sony is phasing out the DMX 100 .... (not sure) I would check first before I paid that much.

You said they will knock 20% off the normal price ... is that the list price ($20,000) or an already discounted price?

I have heard of people getting one for under $15K new, so if you can get one for 20% off $15K ($13K or less) that would be a very good deal on an excellent mixer.

Just a heads up, there may not be as much customer service avalable from Sony on a discontinued product compared to a product that is still in production.

Dosser Fri, 06/24/2005 - 21:37

FYI, although Sony Pro Audio does share a heritage from MCI, by the fact that it purchased MCI's pro audio division many years ago; the DMX R100 comes from an entirely different lineage.

The DMX was derived from Sony's work on their OXF R3 Oxford large format digital console. It was developed partly in England by a group of designers that, if I recall correctly, once worked for SSL - before the development of the Axiom series of digital consoles from SSL.

Although the Oxford went into limited production, few studios actually bought one. For a digital large format desk, it sounds great and has some powerful user features.

A few years later, the DMX R100 was created out of what was learned from the Oxford. More powerful processing was available cheaper, and the medium format digital console market was booming.

You can also see the original Oxford console's heritage in the Oxford Plugins Sony makes.

sheet Fri, 06/24/2005 - 23:08

BTW, the Sony is long gone. They aren't phasing it out. They did phase it out. I would look for a used one on ebay, because it has likely had the necessary mods and fixes that you will not get from Sony.

I would also think that the guy would come down lower than 20% off. That's too much for a factory unsupported piece.

Go to http://, and visit the forum for the console. You can see the frustration of finding parts and service there. A common problem seems to be that some connections like the USB port were never made to work, and the mother boards go out.