Skip to main content

Hey everyone,

Im trying to move my equipments from Italy to Canada or USA.

Do you have any suggestion?

Or maybe is someone interested in a partnership?

I've got tons of equipment

Comments

DonnyThompson Wed, 01/27/2016 - 04:06

To do what with? To sell it? To set up a studio?

You should be more specific, both of your intentions and with the gear you have. Lots of people have "tons" of gear.
Quantity means nothing, quality means everything - so perhaps you should provide a basic list what you have ( you don't need to include every single cable, stand, and SM57 microphone you own but you should list your major gear... and what you want to do with it...

Getting the equipment to another country isn't easy. At that point, you will need to document every last cable, every last stand, and direct box. You'll need a full and detailed inventory of every single piece of gear you are wanting to bring in; and you need to prove that you aren't coming into the country to sell it, so you'll need to provide a detailed manifest of everything; it's value, it's insurance replacement costs, receipts, serial numbers, bills of sale.

You'll also need to provide a permanent destination, which you'll have to secure long before you move one piece of your gear. They're not just gonna let you pull up to the border at Niagara Falls, Ontario and Buffalo, NY, USA with a truck filled with recording equipment and just let you in by glancing at your passport with no questions asked. You'll probably need to fill out paperwork months beforehand ( but could be even as long as two years beforehand) through INS/Customs, and make an appointment for them to approve your transfer and move, and to go over your equipment, piece by piece.. They'll want to know precisely where it's going and what it will be used for. If you plan on working in a country where you aren't already a legal resident, then you'll need to apply for residency status, or a work visa, which will mean requiring you to have a sponsor who can account for you occupationally and for taxes. You'll need a Social Security card for the U.S.A. - or a Social Insurance Card if you're heading to Canada. They will also want to know that you are financially stable enough so that you're not going to enter the country and then head straight for the local public assistance welfare office (unless you happen to be from an oppressed country seeking asylum, but at that point, they'd question your inventory of expensive equipment)...

There will be interviews, mountains of paperwork, also very likely duty/taxes to be paid, along with the costs of setting up the studio, which could easily run into five figures.

How much have you really researched about this on your own?

Lastly, if you are thinking about coming over to open up a recording studio, you need to know that the recording studio business in both Canada and The U.S. is not a booming market right now... in fact, it's currently suffering from a massive downturn in business and revenue. Big name studios are closing their doors at an alarming rate. These are studios who have built stellar reputations over the years, studios that have turned out gold and platinum records... and many of them are shutting off their lights and locking their doors, because there's just not enough business anymore to simply break-even, never mind making a profit.

How much have you really thought about this?

soundfactory Wed, 01/27/2016 - 08:24

Thanx for you detailed post.

But I didnt asked how to do it, but just an opinion..

Anyway I dont understand the way you are explaining. Little rough way like you thought that maybe I'm a little child that wanna move with his games somewhere in the World.

I've already got the visa for Canada and I know how the business is going....... I just asked for more opinions.

Thats all.

I agree with you when you are saying that biggest studios in the World are shutting down because there are not enough working requests.

But the way you explained seems like I wanna introduce a bomb in the USA.

Thank you.

Attached files

Sound Factory Equipment List.pdf (207.7 KB) 

Sean G Wed, 01/27/2016 - 22:19

soundfactory, post: 435767, member: 48953 wrote: But the way you explained seems like I wanna introduce a bomb in the USA.

Yep,...that type of talk on a public forum in todays' world is really going to get you into the U.S. or Canada....or any other country for that matter...

BTW - Hello to the guys at the NSA working on project Echelon...

DonnyThompson Thu, 01/28/2016 - 03:43

soundfactory, post: 435767, member: 48953 wrote: Thanx for you detailed post.

But I didnt asked how to do it, but just an opinion..

Anyway I dont understand the way you are explaining. Little rough way like you thought that maybe I'm a little child that wanna move with his games somewhere in the World.

I've already got the visa for Canada and I know how the business is going....... I just asked for more opinions.

Thats all.

I agree with you when you are saying that biggest studios in the World are shutting down because there are not enough working requests.

But the way you explained seems like I wanna introduce a bomb in the USA.

Thank you.

Pardon, but no, you didn't "just ask for an opinion".

You said you were wanting to move your "tons of gear" to either the U.S.A. or Canada, and then you asked for suggestions.

You also queried as to whether anyone might be interested in a partnership.

You gave little detail beyond those two points.

I'm not trying to be intentionally hard on you. If you've got a plan, then go for it. But your plan, at least based on what you originally posted, seems a bit flawed; if you haven't even yet decided which country you plan on moving to, and because you you are currently entertaining partners, that alludes to the scenario that you'll need help of some kind. That's not a business plan. That's a proposal, and a weak one at that, as you didn't mention what type of studio you wanted to build, what city you wanted to be in, what demographic you want to target, what customer base you are geaerd-up for - what gear you have, what your expericence is in the business, what your expectations are, what your prjections are... or anything else about you, either.

For all we know, your "tons of gear" could be on a freigher , with a bin filled with Neve, SSL, Studer, Neumann, Telefunken, Urei, Fairchild and Pultec equipment, with all duty pre-paid and your inventory manifest cleared through customs... Or ...it could be a minivan packed with Behringer, Peavey, Samson, and Fostex equipment from the 80's that hasn't been cleared, and with a bill of duty of import/excise tax due. You didn't attach an inventory list, you didn't even hint at the quality level of your eqipment... you made no mention of anything pertinent.

In this business, people will generally only take you as seriously as you take yourself.

I had no idea - not does anyone else here - of what you are already aware of - or aren't aware of - because your post was sparse, lacking info and because we don't know you or your particular situation. You provided no details at all, other than that you had tons of gear you wanted to bring to either The States or Canada. You didn't even mention that you had already secured a visa to Canada.

We're not clairvoyant here, and you can't just assume that we know what you are talking about.

You asked for suggestions, I gave you some. I don't care if you don't care about what I wrote... but don't be so sensitive. No one here was trying to discourage you. I was merely pointing out - from personal experience, by the way - what it can be like to move equipment from country to country.

You already seem to know what you are doing, though, so there's no need for me to suggest anything further.

-d

soundfactory Thu, 01/28/2016 - 07:31

And again no answer to my question, and you should see that there is an attached equipment list to my post.
Anyway I was asking just for a general opinion.

Something more specific than immigration advices that actually I already received from a lawyer.

And you should see my attached website with all the infos that you need or maybe do you prefer that I will paste in here "tons of paper"? So that no one will read it?

So Thank you again for your time.

DonnyThompson Fri, 01/29/2016 - 00:03

soundfactory, post: 435797, member: 48953 wrote: And again no answer to my question,
t?

So Thank you again for your time.

WHAT QUESTION? You didn't ask any questions at all...

You said, "I'm trying to move all my equipment from Italy to Canada or U.S.A".

You then asked for suggestions, without providing any detail as to what you wanted to do. You didn't mention setting up a studio, or if you were looking to set up a music store or brokerage firm to sell the gear... all you mentioned other than that was that you were interested in having a partner - a partner to WHAT?

Okay. Fine. I'll bite .... just one more time... although I seem to be the only one who is responding to you; so you may want to take into consideration that your own lack of specifics is inviting a lack of responses.

So ... one more time... what's your question? SPECIFICALLY... what is your question?

x

User login