Skip to main content

Hello all, I've just stumbled across this forum after some searching for info on this console.

I'm looking for ANY information that you may have, but schematics and manuals would be amazing! There seems to be very little out there, especially for the M range.

Im sure I'm not the only one, so anything I find will be shared.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Sean G Mon, 09/26/2016 - 04:26

A quick google search turned up another post from 2010 on another forum asking the same question...someone posted this in response...now I don't know if you have all ready came across this or are aware of it (I'm sure you would have if you were googling it) but this is for the Q3 and from the thread they were very similar and from the same maker(?)

I don't know if it helps?

Maybe our resident guru Boswell may be able to chime in here too...he is from your side of the pond as well.

- Sean.

Document
Attachment Size
qm3_series_information.pdf (2.44 MB) 2.44 MB

Boswell Mon, 09/26/2016 - 08:15

Sean G, post: 441574, member: 49362 wrote: Maybe our resident guru Boswell may be able to chime in here too...he is from your side of the pond as well.

Sorry, but I don't think I can add very much. I was going to post the same link to the Q3 manual as Sean did, but there's no knowing how different it was to the M series.

I remember using a Chilton M10 many years ago in a private studio that someone had built from bits somehow acquired from the BBC when one of their studios was being re-vamped, and the sound was very good. As a board to operate, it was a bit clunky, and also rather inflexible in routing, but that can be traced back to the studio contract for which it was desgned.

45addict Tue, 09/27/2016 - 05:19

Boswell, post: 441580, member: 29034 wrote: Sorry, but I don't think I can add very much. I was going to post the same link to the Q3 manual as Sean did, but there's no knowing how different it was to the M series.

I remember using a Chilton M10 many years ago in a private studio that someone had built from bits somehow acquired from the BBC when one of their studios was being re-vamped, and the sound was very good. As a board to operate, it was a bit clunky, and also rather inflexible in routing, but that can be traced back to the studio contract for which it was desgned.

Thanks for the insight, Boswell.

I've managed to get some documents on the M models (mostly M10/2 Mk3 I think), so if anyone would like a copy just send me a message.

45addict Wed, 09/28/2016 - 01:11

I'm experiencing a couple of issues with the console;

Every channel is bleeding ever so slightly, with both the gains and faders all the way down.

Also the panning on each channel doesn't seem to work, it sort of just muffles the sound, vaguely sends the signal to relevant monitor.

I'm assuming the two issues are related, maybe faulty or badly fitted faders? They had been recently replaced.

Other than that the console sounds beautiful!

If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great, as I have little technical knowledge.

Thanks

-Charles

45addict Wed, 09/28/2016 - 02:52

Boswell, post: 441657, member: 29034 wrote: I can't get an accurate picture of what is happening from your description. What do you mean by "bleeding" in this case? When does a channel produce a non-muffled sound if the pan pots produce the muffling?

Have you checked the supply voltage rails inside the mixer?

Apologies, like I said I'm no tech.

By bleeding I meant even when the fader is down on the channel, and even when gain is also all the way down, I can still hear the input of said channel - this seems to be the case with all 10 channels.

With the panning issue, when the pan is in the middle, or even partly left or right, the sound from the channel is clear but not actually doing the job of panning the sound (maybe slightly, but not affectively). When panned hard left or right the sound becomes muffled, seemingly weakening the signal - once again, this seems to be the case for all 10 channels.

Hope that's clearer!

Thanks,

-Charles

Boswell Thu, 09/29/2016 - 02:22

The humming is much more likely to be an earthing problem. This could be because the mains earth to the power supply has gone high impedance (or has become disconnected), or there is another earth contact problem in the d.c. power cabling. It could be another manifestation of the troubles that are behind the pan pot problem you reported earlier.

Can I ask where in the UK you are located? You can message me (via a conversation in this forum) if you prefer.