Skip to main content

Any differences in sound (color, character, response, quality, etc.) of new API 512c between pad in and pad out modes?

Thanks a lot

Topic Tags

Comments

Groff Wed, 04/06/2005 - 04:31

Hi BlueRoom, thanks for replay

It seems you are experienced with API, so I have to ask you some more,

THeBLueROom wrote: not noticeable to me

Regardless of source? How is 512 on voice and acoustic guitar? I compared Great River and API on amp, and I like API sound more. http://

I'm doing lots of high gain rock too. You still use GrooveTubes mic on guitar amp? I try AT 4033 (it's a big difference than GT, I know), but it sound even more frustrating than SM57. I listened “Rock Song” mp3 from Rode site, it’s NT 1000 with 1073 on guitar amp. Acceptable sound, but 1073 is out of may range for now. What is your second choice mic for miking high gain amp?

Can't get rid off that annoying fuzzy, crackling, rice top, especially on lead parts.

Have you any advice?

What converters you are using?

It’s a little bit off topic, but I’m not the first and only one.
If you would like to look over one of my previous post:{old-link-removed}

thanks

THeBLueROom Wed, 04/06/2005 - 10:47

For high gain rock, the API is second to none. I use whatever mic works for the project, but I do tend to go to the GT44 for high gain rock a lot.

I use the converters on my Focusrite ISA428 w/ ADC card. It has eight channels of conversion and that's about all I use at any given time anyway. The FRs converters are pretty decent converters compared to the ones on my MOTU. There are definately better converters out there, but not for this price.

COnverters will make a noticeable difference in the sound quality, so that would be a good investment. They will certainly help get rid of that harsh noise on a lot of high gain amps, but mainly it's the amp you have to worry about, then comes mic placement.

The API is good on heavy rock vocals, but it's not my go-to pre for vox. I tend to use the FR for vox most of the time. I haven't even tried it on acoustic, so I can't comment there. I can only suspect that it would do a good job but it may smear the top end a little.

Groff Wed, 04/06/2005 - 13:55

THeBLueROom wrote: I haven't even tried it on acoustic, so I can't comment there. I can only suspect that it would do a good job but it may smear the top end a little.

It's nice to know. Thanks Man. :)

Where you noticed that top end smearing (sources)? Any other "negative" sides of 512?