Skip to main content

I've been using Shure SM57's on toms, many different kits, many different players, and no matter what I can't get a good tom sound.

I know my room and pres play a big part, but I recently stopped using the 57 on snare and now use the Sennheiser E609 and get the sound I want. I'm thinking that it's more so the mic and less of the other factors.

Now...

How does the Audix D2 compare to the almighty MD421? Obviously the difference in price is about 3 fold, and one is the industry standard, but a lot can be said for an underdog.

The tom sound I love is pretty much your commercial rock/metal tom sound.

So would you even put these two mics in the same ball park? How would you describe the sound of each on toms?

Comments

anonymous Sat, 05/14/2005 - 00:56

I own two D2's and I love them. They sound great on toms. I've used the 421's numerous times on toms and I hate them. They just don't sound nice to me and there big and ugly too. Not that is a major reason for not liking them..

Even through a Neve VR Legend in college the 421's still sound shit imo. I'm a huge fan of the audix mics. I bought the DP-5 kit from advice here and I haven't regretted it!!!

I'd recommend the D2's over the 421's any day :)

Guest Sat, 05/14/2005 - 10:00

I have the DP-5 mic kit as well. All the Audix mic's are very nice stuff. You will like the D2. No question about it.
I don't have a 421, but the recordings that I have heard, that I knew a 421 was on the tom, had a real big sound. I liked what I heard, but like I said....I don't own one....
yet :roll:

anonymous Sun, 05/15/2005 - 14:19

I know it may seem like the obvious thing but I'm learning very quickly that the worlds greatest mic won't make a not so well tuned drum good.
I was working with a session the drummer the other day and he's been playing for 20 years + and man did he show me what a really nice sounding tom sounds like :p But he directed me towards this site

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

I apologise if this has already been posted but I've gone here and I'm starting to learn how to try make a kit sound good. Its a valuable skill to have :)

sheet Sun, 05/15/2005 - 14:51

They are two very different mics. Both have their place.

What some people don't know is that the Sennheisers are not side address. I have seen some rookies not point them (angle them, whatever) into the drum head, but merely had them peeking over like a large diaphragm mic.

Most modern players have their cymbals sitting lower, so getting the 421's in is a problem. The Sennheiser Evolution series is a good alternative. If you have the money, get the Audix! You won't regret it.

anonymous Sun, 05/15/2005 - 14:53

sheet wrote: What some people don't know is that the Sennheisers are not side address. I have seen some rookies not point them (angle them, whatever) into the drum head, but merely had them peeking over like a large diaphragm mic.

That's funny...I've seen that several times myself...I saw it with a Shure SM7 also. I guess when you think about it, you can see why someone would see it that way. :D

anonymous Mon, 05/16/2005 - 11:42

The comment about the mics appearance was a joke and has absolutely nothing to do with how it sounds. Theres funnier looking mics out there :p

I wasn't referring to all the sennheisers either. I know people who love the 421's to bits and swear by them. I'm just not a fan of how they sound thats all. I'd prefer a 57 on toms over the 421. But thats just me. Everyone has there preference I guess at the end of the day. To me they just don't sound nice. And I like i said we've run them through a Neve desk with a well tunes kit and the d2 or 57 sounds better to me. Thats my preference thats all...