Skip to main content

Due to a possible hotswap (i guess) the M-Audio FW410 now doesn't work anymore. Normally when windows starts up the FW-410 also boots and is ready for use when windows has fully loaded.

Now windows doesn't see the fw-410 anymore. The blue light keeps blinking which, according to m-audio support, means that the device is not recognized.

I tried reinstalling it, following m-audio's suggestions, but it's just now working. I also tried to install it on another pc, still not working.

So the blue light just keeps blinking and windows just doesn't recognize the m-audio anymore.

I will have to buy a new interface tomorrow. Probably i'll get the same fw-410 because i *know* how it works and all my software runs good with it.

Can somebody give me some advice on what else i can try with the fw-410? Or perhaps what other interface i should get instead?

I'm sorry if this post sounds a bit desperate, i really can't hide my frustration because i have work to finish and now i can't do anything. :(

Topic Tags

Comments

RichS Sun, 07/08/2007 - 13:34

2 suggestions...

Check your user manual, or mfg.'s website (or call tech support) for a "hard reset" procedure for the interface. (Usually consists of holding some combination of buttons or switches while you restart the box.) Sometimes when you hot-swap, it confuses the hardware.

Check the mfg.'s website for any firmware updates or updated drivers.

Good luck.

Space Mon, 07/09/2007 - 19:44

Due to a possible hotswap

Sounds to me like you may be thinking you did a boo-boo and did not power down the unit before you did whatever you may have done with it?

That's a lot of juice to keep live when you plug/unplug things.

If it isn't working I'd just run with that first thang:)
It sounds like it is burnt.

anonymous Tue, 07/10/2007 - 00:45

Thanks for your replies. I called tech support and there sadly isn't a hard reset option, i will have to send the interface back to them (UK) and probably wait a x amount of weeks..

I couldn't get a new one on monday so i hope today, tuesday, i will find one.

In the mean time i've checked out the specs for some other nice audio interfaces and some are really nice looking. Quite possibly i'll sell/trade the fw-410 in some months and go for a alesis io14, tc konnect 24d or focusrite sapphire le. But i want to hear them first.

anonymous Thu, 07/19/2007 - 02:11

Well i'm testdriving the Focusrite Sapphire LE now.
pros
-Sound quality is good.
-Easy install.
-Nice solid device.

cons
-The mixer window is difficult to use. Sliders don't show values and don't 'snap' in center or 0db positions.
-Mixer window doesn't minimize to tray.
-I hear ticks now and then. Which is a first for me.

Just thought i post my findings. In any case it'll do for now until the store gets the alesis or tc konnect.