Skip to main content

Anyone have direct experience with RME PCI cards. I'm using an M-audio audiophile 192 ($129), and wondering if the RME ($499) will make a noticable difference.

Topic Tags

Comments

audiokid Sun, 08/14/2011 - 22:32

I'm using the HDSPe AES [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.rme-audi…"]RME: HDSPe AES[/]="http://www.rme-audi…"]RME: HDSPe AES[/] and it works well. The software is what I like about it and my converters also need an interface like this to work with my set-up. The converters are what make the difference from what I understand. Buy the interface that makes the most sense for your converters.
But, I also bought a certain converter and interface for improved latency. Did it help there? A bit.

djmukilteo Mon, 08/15/2011 - 10:52

PeterPav, post: 375138 wrote: Anyone have direct experience with RME PCI cards. I'm using an M-audio audiophile 192 ($129), and wondering if the RME ($499) will make a noticable difference.

Hard to say...that is a bit subjective unless you can find someone who has used both. And even then how many different opinions from different people would you trust?.....20, 5, 2? And don't forget it's their opinion and their ears listening to their recorded music, not yours. From a technical standpoint you can certainly compare specs which is really the only factual method of determining if some electronics is better or worse. But then again today, electronics is so close and everyone uses standard designs and components...it's hard to find much difference.
I'm sure if you're going on price, which most people use as their "benchmark"....x cost $200....y costs $500 therefore y is better than x!
RME is great stuff....they make great drivers and are very stable. I've used the RME FF800. Me personally I would recommend RME over just about anything, but that's just me....some people say the RME sound is too clean and sterile....not enough "color"...LOL...I hate it when your audio processing equipment does that to your sound...makes it all clean and sterile....LOL.

PeterPav Mon, 08/15/2011 - 12:10

Thanks,

I was using a Focusrite and sold it because the driver refused to work with my new Motherboard (even after two weeks with Focusrite tech help) so I got the M-Audio 192. It sounds good, but maybe a little murky compared to the Focusrite. I've heard some people say its not just the converters but the circuits carrying in the sound ( I dont mean pre-amp). Clean and clear is exactly what I'm lookin for.

But as was stated this is kinda unanswerable ???

djmukilteo Mon, 08/15/2011 - 15:13

Again I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, but so many times people make decisions to buy something else or question their sound because they "think" it sounds "murky" or it's not "clean" enough or whatever. I can see this will turn into a rant...so forgive me, for I know not what I do...

The state of digital converters and the electronics is so amazingly good today. Your talking 115db S/N stuff now.
Your using high speed computers and you capture a digitized waveform that is theoretically perfect and exactly what you sourced going in. It really is! There no question...it's awfully damn close to perfect! And that cost you what $500 or $1000 to achieve that! 20 years ago that was impossible!
So now you listen to what you have and to your ears and brain using a myriad of high tech listening devices in your possession you decide "I don't like that sound"!?! OK fair enough...you don't like it!
Based on what?....your ears, your playing, the mic you used, the room you recorded it in?...it doesn't sound as good as the latest pop hit on iTunes?...I have no idea....I'm not you and I don't have the same equipment you have or even the same hearing or brain!!!..hell I may not even like the same kind of music you like!!!....the list of possibilities is endless. It goes even further than that...the computer and software you use to store and replicate what you've captured...is that the problem?....hardly...you get exactly what you get! You should hear exactly what you did and trust that! What....you mean everybody doesn't sound the same?!!....really?
Software is so good these days, so perfectly coded that once that source is captured in the software you have these tools in there that let you manipulate that source sound 1000 different ways to Sunday! What?!....no way!...that can't be the problem....!!
OK...so maybe your not using those to your best advantage...again who knows...a little EQ here a little compressor there and viola different sound!!?....is it better?...maybe..maybe not!
I find that no matter what you do it is all subjective. I've recorded people who just can't play "clean"...they play "murky" and they don't play that well to begin with...but the equipment doesn't magically make them better....it won't matter if I record them with $500,000 worth of equipment or $500.
I've recorded other players who actually have exceptional talent and with their sound, I could get a beautiful recording using a Tascam reel to reel 4 track!....and that is the gist of the whole story....you can chase your sound with money and the promise of a better recording of your sound with something more expensive thinking it will make it better or you can work with what you have. The painting doesn't care what brush you use really....does it?
At the level of recording your doing today with the high tech equipment you have in your hands..you have the tools right there in front of you to make a phenomenal recording....If you want to take the time to learn what you have and express yourself.
Or you can just go off and buy something else..chasing this intangible dream.....but that's your choice!
I've been told I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear from a recording!...OK glad I could help!
I suspect however a person could do that no matter what interface or converter or software they used....
So read reviews, specs, understand what they mean, ask questions, spend your time, money and passion crafting your art....make something that sounds good to you....and above all have fun doing it!
Thanks for letting me rant!:cool:
I think I needed that!

PeterPav Mon, 08/15/2011 - 17:09

Ha!

Thanks,

I agree gear is only a part of the craft. One thing I will say is that when you make ear candy pop music (which I try to do) with loud masters, the better the gear the louder and fuller you can push the mix. Here's my thoughts: You often read "my $300 so&so mic" in a blind test compares side by side to a $3000 Neumann. It may on a single track of digital, but when you slam the master, you will hear all the harsh artifacts coming out alot sooner (at much lower volume) than the better gear. I know alot of guys think the loudness thing is just stupid, but if your song is playin in rotation with kickin masters and you wanna compete, well....

So, basically I'm wondering if when recording acoustic instruments and vocals if the RME get a bigger sound.

Pete

audiokid Mon, 08/15/2011 - 18:45

More expensive, higher end converters do for certain. I've done some comparisons and testify.
The ADI-8 QS is, better than the FF800. Lavry is better than the ADI-8 QS. You usually get what you pay for. Do you need it though, maybe, maybe not. It costs a lot of money to get that last 2% silk. Thats what you need to decide for yourself, is it worth it.

Most recordings today sound better than most recordings done years ago. The big difference is there are more people that don't know what they are doing today. And, MP3 sucks compared to other formats.

I'm not sure I have this close but its something like this from my research.

Low end converters are under $500
Mid level are under $2000
Upper Mid are under $4000
High end are above this.

My Lavry Black 2 channel AD is 1400. It sounds better than the FF800 that is 8 plus channels for close to that price. I just sold a new FF800 for $1200. If I wasn't so fussy, I would be extremely happy with the FF800. They are excellent.

Lower end converters are razor sounding but I bet most of them sound as good as the older Pro Tools Mix systems 12 years ago that cost $20,000 plus! And there were a lot of hit records produced on Pro Tools Mix Systems.

Remember, we're talking converters, not interface.