Skip to main content

So i just picked up a Mackie 1604 off ebay and i was curious if it was a good buy or not. I dont own a good mixer and i found this on ebay with 18 minutes to go. Probably wasent wise to jump at something so quick but I'm impulsive.

clint

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 10/21/2003 - 19:54

I desperately need a Mackie 1604 with the rotopod for my live gigs. Mine is on it's deathbed. It seems there are no other mixers out there with similar features that (with the rotopod) will fit into such a small rack space. I'd even buy a new one, but Mackie says the rotopods are back-ordered for a couple of months, and my old one won't fit on the new models!

I wish I knew about that $350 one. Anyone else have one they want to sell me???

KurtFoster Tue, 10/21/2003 - 20:16

Originally posted by blasted01:
hey kurt,
This is the mackie cr 1604, I understand that the 1604 vlz is its successor? Did you have many problems with what you had? why did you sell it?
Clint

Clint,
Never had a problem with it! Built like a tank! Was in almost new condition when I sold it. I just didn't need it, it was taking up space. I have a SR24 vlz I use to monitor DAW and mix phone mixs with and I just had no use for it.

AudioGaff Wed, 10/22/2003 - 00:40

Originally posted by Kurt Foster:
I recently sold a 1604 vlz for $350...

Damm Dude, I finally got fed up with the harsh sound and sold my 1604-VLZ with rotopod a little over a year ago after using it as a sidecar and for FOH/PA gigs. I got $650. Then for $50 more, I bought a brand new old stock Neotek MicMAX dual mic pre. Sounds as clean, crisp and sweet as my friends John Hardy and the Neotek board I used to own. Good old ebay...

anonymous Wed, 10/22/2003 - 08:09

Originally posted by white swan:
I desperately need a Mackie 1604 with the rotopod for my live gigs. Mine is on it's deathbed. It seems there are no other mixers out there with similar features that (with the rotopod) will fit into such a small rack space. I'd even buy a new one, but Mackie says the rotopods are back-ordered for a couple of months, and my old one won't fit on the new models!

I have a 1604 VLZ I might part with for the right price. I agree that $350 seems ridiculously low. I might also be willing to work out a trade. I would need to either get something with 8 nice mic-pres or enough cash to buy something.

KurtFoster Wed, 10/22/2003 - 19:58

Originally posted by AudioGaff:

Originally posted by Kurt Foster:
I recently sold a 1604 vlz for $350...

Damm Dude, I finally got fed up with the harsh sound and sold my 1604-VLZ with rotopod a little over a year ago after using it as a sidecar and for FOH/PA gigs. I got $650. Then for $50 more, I bought a brand new old stock Neotek MicMAX dual mic pre. Sounds as clean, crisp and sweet as my friends John Hardy and the Neotek board I used to own. Good old ebay... Yeah, just wanted to get rid of it without having to hassel shipping it somewhere. A friend offered me $300 and I said, "$400" and he said. "$350" and I said "sold". Most people I know, don't really want something like that, so I was happy to get what I could and be finished with it. I'm $350 to the good on it 'cause I got it for nothing... can't complain.. :D

anonymous Thu, 10/23/2003 - 10:19

I wish I knew about that $350 one. Anyone else have one they want to sell me???

My friend, have I got a deal for YOU!!!! Check [[url=http://[/URL]="http://home.velocit…"]this[/]="http://home.velocit…"]this[/] out and let me know what you think.

anonymous Thu, 10/23/2003 - 11:05

It is a fine mixer for what it is.
What are you going to use it for....monitoring, some routing....some non crucial pre amps... fine.
The SM57 doesnt mate particularly well with these pres....not bad just blah. And the pres get grainy when the gain is jacked up.
Others say the EQ sucks....I have never really played with anything but the hi-pass filter.

Have fun,
spoon

anonymous Mon, 10/27/2003 - 07:30

How old is it? What kind of condition? All the inputs, outputs, pots, faders, etc. still working? Does it have the rotopod?

If yes to all of the above, what do you want for it?

It's in mint condition, but it does not have the rotopod. It has only seen "non-smoking" studio use. Let me know if the deal with Skeetch falls through - looks like that may be a better way for you to go since the Rotopod is key for you.

Not really desperate to part with it, it's a handy little thing - but I don't really have a use for it ATM. I always like being able to help out fellow musicians/recordists if I can. :D

anonymous Tue, 10/28/2003 - 00:15

Neither would I, Tron. But I've been happily using mine for live gigs for about 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Skeetch and Idjit - I want to thank you for graciously trying to help, but I have good news and bad news. My local pro dealer, when he found out about my situation, asked me if I had tried spraying some CAIG DeOxit on the various intermittent faders, pots, and jacks.

So the other day, I got out my trusty can (don't leave home without it?) and I gave the Mackie a thorough spraying. Guess what? It's working like new... at least for the moment!!!

So that's the good news. The bad news is I won't need to buy either of your fine mixers. At least, for the moment!

But thanks for offering aid!

(Oops! I hope this isn't considered an illegal review of CAIG DeOxit!)

Davedog Tue, 10/28/2003 - 07:17

AHA!! Theres definate proof of a time honored reality.ALL of Greg Mackies products need a bit of de-oxit.I remember the Tapco line quite well, and if you didnt have de-oxit and you were unloading the van in a not so friendly environment,say under zero degrees in Da Dakotas somewhere,the knobs on the Tapco werent going to move at all even with a wrench.Shows how some things dont really change :c:

anonymous Tue, 10/28/2003 - 12:58

say under zero degrees in Da Dakotas somewhere,

FWIW, the other side of the thermometer
is OK... Bought a MS1202 which had been in a musicstore-on-fire and it worked - then right away - and it still does.

Must say I didn't know what I saw when I encountered a new MS1202 - didn't knew those red & blue knobs were meant _that_ bright...

Peter

x

User login