Skip to main content

I looking for some input and suggestions. I am up grading my studio and plan to purchase an Apollo X8P. I also want to add an additional 8 XLR inputs. I am considering the Audient ASP800 to meet this need. Will this work or are there better options I should consider?

Comments

pcrecord Fri, 11/08/2019 - 11:03

The audient 800 is a very good 8xPre unit. The preamps design was inspired by their big console and will do a good job for drums and other instruments.
One thing you have to accept with those is that you'll get many identical sounding channels.. which is not a bad thing.
Of course, they are not highend preamps like Focusrite ISA are, so some would prefer going with a ISA428 or the ISA 828 + the converter card.
Those are of another league completely. The 428 gives 4 preamps and 4 line input to converter to connect other preamps if different flavors is something needed.
I owned 8 ISA preamps and they were my best investment for life ! Of course much more expensive.... Depends on what kind of productions you are aiming to !

Enough said about ISAs.. Apollo and Audient will make good music too !

As for the X8P it seems like a good choice, did you thought about Antelope ?
They just put out the Orion studio synergy that seems to be full goodness !! ;)

Boswell Fri, 11/08/2019 - 11:45

Yes, it will work, exactly as in the reply to the same question over at GS.

However, I would recommend the Audient ASP880 rather than the ASP800, unless you really need the fancy retro-channel features in the ASP800. The ASP880 has improved noise specifications and switchable input impedance in the pre-amps, as well as extended balanced channel insert capabilities (including direct ADC access).

In order to connect the ASP880 to the x8P, you would take two equal-length lightpipes out of the ASP880 and into the x8P, giving you 8 channels at up to 96KHz. You would also need use a 75 Ohm BNC cable to take wordclock sync out of the x8P and into the ASP880, setting the terminator switch on the ASP880 and selecting external sync on the front-panel cycling push-button.

strings1 Sun, 11/10/2019 - 20:17

Thank you pcrecord for you response. I may save up for the ISA 428 in the near future. Would be nice to have options.

pcrecord, post: 462591, member: 46460 wrote: The audient 800 is a very good 8xPre unit. The preamps design was inspired by their big console and will do a good job for drums and other instruments.
One thing you have to accept with those is that you'll get many identical sounding channels.. which is not a bad thing.
Of course, they are not highend preamps like Focusrite ISA are, so some would prefer going with a ISA428 or the ISA 828 + the converter card.
Those are of another league completely. The 428 gives 4 preamps and 4 line input to converter to connect other preamps if different flavors is something needed.
I owned 8 ISA preamps and they were my best investment for life ! Of course much more expensive.... Depends on what kind of productions you are aiming to !

strings1 Sun, 11/10/2019 - 20:18

Thank you pcrecord for you response. I may save up for the ISA 428 in the near future. Would be nice to have options.

pcrecord, post: 462591, member: 46460 wrote: The audient 800 is a very good 8xPre unit. The preamps design was inspired by their big console and will do a good job for drums and other instruments.

strings1 Sun, 11/10/2019 - 20:22

Boswell, post: 462592, member: 29034 wrote: Yes, it will work, exactly as in the reply to the same question over at GS.

However, I would recommend the Audient ASP880 rather than the ASP800, unless you really need the fancy retro-channel features in the ASP800. The ASP880 has improved noise specifications and switchable input impedance in the pre-amps, as well as extended balanced channel insert capabilities (including direct ADC access).

In order to connect the ASP880 to the x8P, you would take two equal-length lightpipes out of the ASP880 and into the x8P, giving you 8 channels at up to 96KHz. You would also need use a 75 Ohm BNC cable to take wordclock sync out of the x8P and into the ASP880, setting the terminator switch on the ASP880 and selecting external sync on the front-panel cycling push-button.

Thanks Boswell for pointing this out. I'll go with the 880. Also, thank you for taking you time to explain the connection and cable suggestions.