Skip to main content

Just picked up two Audio-Technica AT8449 shock mounts incredibly cheap because the elastics were broken and loose.

I've done this plenty of times before, and in the past I've used elastic cord from my local fabric shop and thicker elastic bands to repair and it's just fine.
Today I am doing a couple more and my OCD got the better of me, regarding the elastic bands I am using. For a start, they're black and it appears that they are made of a different rubber than bog-standard elastic bands.

I know it's a really minor point, but assuming I became really anal about it in the future and wanted to get hold of these without going through Audio-Technica and paying through the nose for them (£7.50 for 400mm of cord and two bands - no thanks I just bought 5 metres of cord for £2.50) where do you think I would find them?

http://www.audiotec…"]This is Audio Techinca's product page for the replacements[/]="http://www.audiotec…"]This is Audio Techinca's product page for the replacements[/]

I've been googling like crazy and I just can't seem to get the right search terms, someone must make them, it feels maybe like they are closer to the kind that are used for driving belts inside mechanisms maybe?
Anyway, a minor point but one that's bound to get to keep nibbling at my OCD. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks in advance!



RemyRAD Sat, 02/09/2013 - 12:34

Well a lot of those rubber isolated shock mounts used custom-made rubber pieces if you really want to get anal and OCD about it. You would have to make a clay mold and pour your own. And you have to have the right kind of chemical structure which might require a chemical engineer? It's not your average everyday rubber band man. Which was also one of my favorite songs in its day LOL. I played it a lot at the nightclub discotheque.

I went into one of those one dollar stores and found these very long hair rubber bands. Bigger than anything else I had ever seen and in multiple colors. I grabbed the black and brown ones. Because of their excessive length, they had to be cut down. The ends have to be secured together by a metal clasp or make a knot. But most of that elastic rubber from those Taiwanese folk don't last very long. Certainly not the dreck you get at the dollar store. Though it will work for a while. A year at best. Have you checked any hobby stores? And then there are industrial rubber bands that you can get in varying sizes. Just like you asked about those drive belts. These aren't the drive belts. While drive belts are elastic they are not that kind of elastic. Just as there are different types of OCD. I'm obsessively compulsive in making good recordings and good live broadcasts. And maybe you yourself should look into getting a real life? You are worrying about rubber bands obsessively. I'd rather worried about rock bands obsessively. You just got the words typoed up. So obsessively correcting your wording so that you are excessively compulsive to make a good recording. Since, we really don't record rubber bands much anymore. I mean there are more important things in this world to worry about than your rubbers. Unless of course you are going to bed with underaged girls? And then you can be compulsive about your rubbers. Good engineers know where their priorities lie LOL horizontal.

I have OCD when it comes to answering questions like this.
Mx. Remy Ann David

thatjeffguy Sat, 02/09/2013 - 17:47

Google "Shock Cord" for cloth braid covered stretch cord. Google "Rubber Cord" for rubber stretch cord. In both cases know the diameter of what you need and order accordingly. I'm not sure on the flat rubber bands, but i would think you could find either a rubber band of elastic band if you google same.
I replaced the braided type on my Neumann TLM 103 shock mount when it became too weak to properly hold the mic.


bigshum Sun, 02/10/2013 - 06:05

Thanks for your response Jeff. The cord isn't a problem at all, I've found that already ages ago at a local fabric shop. I've been googling like mad with al sorts of terms for a couple of days now trying to find black elastic bands that are similar but to no avail. I found some narrower black ones that so far are working well but I have to double them up.

I am now looking into belts as opposed to bands as they are less elastic and seem to be more akin to the band used in these shock mounts. The type you find in tape decks and hoovers etc. I hav emailed a couple of suppliers to see what they say.

dvdhawk Sun, 02/10/2013 - 11:23

Perhaps Boswell, or someone else familiar with European suppliers can recommend a vendor in the UK.

Here in the states I buy square rubber drive belts, such as those used in tape mechanisms, from a company in Ohio called http://www.mcmelect…

I'm sure delivering them to the UK from the US would be cost prohibitive, so hopefully one of our highly knowledgeable European forum members will have an idea of where to look a little closer to home.

In any case, you will need to know very specific dimensions as Jeff has mentioned.


And the search terms would involve the words: "rubber square belt UK", which generated numerous results including these two retailers.

Such as these folks: Audio Belts from Dönberg Electronics http://www.elclondo… or http://www.donberg…

RemyRAD Sun, 02/10/2013 - 17:20

So what you're really looking for is rubber gasket O-rings. Which are available from those manufacturers who make those. In various diameters and circumferences and various rubber compounds of various types, to your technological requirements. And microphone manufacturers that make their own shock mounts, make them in ever which wiki they please. What you're asking for is simply an industrial rubber O-ring. So ya take a piece of string or two figure out what length and circumference you might need. Divide by whatever the elastic coefficient you have choices from and place your order.

Do you want paper or plastic?
Mx. Remy Ann David