Skip to main content

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience using a JVC M-201?
A friend of mine owns one and I've been trying to use it but it sounds muffled.
It has a switch on it, three positions, off - music - vocal.
What does this change? Is it just an attenuator?
http://www.discoman.ru/mic.htm
Just up from the bottom is a picture. Where are the microphones looking? I know that's not the name of what I want, pickup pattern?
Anyways, if you have any info or can link me up cheers.

Fun times.

Comments

anonymous Fri, 06/13/2008 - 21:54

Hot linking from someone elses site. Classy I am. :)
Shotguns I know about, I'm named for my favourite English double.

The translation from Russian on that site.
"Condenser type professional, vocal- musical, cord microphone from the Japanese company JVC. Is intended for the record of music or [vokala] in the stereo regime. There is a switch for the different types of use. Frequency characteristic: 40 Hz - 18 kHz, sound pressure 133 dB, signal-to-noise ratio are more than 47 dB, sensitivity -81 dB, resistance 600 Ohm, directivity of 120 degrees, weight - 376 deg. Stereo-[shnur] in the complete set!"

From what I can tell this mic was made in the 70's. Made in Japan, so this is budget gear is it? Damn I'd love to see something pro...

RemyRAD Sun, 06/15/2008 - 13:58

There were a number of these same kind of microphones manufactured in the 1970s & eighties. I had a Sony. ECM 99 comes to mind? It actually had a mechanical switch which was a mechanical device. It was used to move the 2 internal capsules to be 180°/90°/45° of a near coincident XY/ORTF stereo microphone. Whereas others have fixed capsules. All battery-powered by a single A A battery. Not phantom powered or able. The consumer versions utilized 2 1/4" phone plugs. There was a more professional version that offered a professional multipin connector to a breakout of 2 XLR connectors. The Sony actually sounded pretty good in comparison to the AT similar version. It actually made for a decent single point stereo XY microphone. I later gave it to a friend. Every now and then, I wish I still had it. It's certainly not a shotgun microphone with just a pair of standards small capsule condenser microphones in a single package. Actually great for drum overheads utilizing a single microphone and stand. Very handy. I think you like this for that purpose. Not bad on grand piano either. Could also be interesting for electric guitar cabinets? It will still sound normal but with a little extra space. Don't use it for vocals as the capsules are pointing in the right direction since they are skewed at 45° angles to one another. So the front of the microphone really isn't the front and it's not a side address microphone either. The internal structure is sort of like flashing the victory or peace sign with your index & middle finger. So it's a front address microphone whose capsules are skewed from the front grille by 45°. You'd think it's a side address microphone by the picture? Nope.

Great if you like that mono compatible XY like recording sound.
Ms. Remy Ann David