Skip to main content

Is this a good piece of equipment? Also, how flexable between recording and live? thanks.

Comments

TheArchitect Sun, 04/03/2005 - 09:46

Its alright for mild compression if you need a hardware compressor. I like some of the plugs I have in cubase better and they are not necessarily world class either. The gate is pretty useless. At least for me.

It does look cool as a rack space filler though. Route dummy signals to it to impress clients!! LOL!! J/k :lol:

Big_D Sun, 04/03/2005 - 11:38

The mod is actually quite good. I modded my old 3630 (it's mainly used for PA) and it is definitely better. I had used it in the past on backing tracks for some very mild compression. With the mod I have tested it on a few more prominent tracks with good results but I still wouldn't suggest pushing it too hard. The mod has allowed me to push it harder before artifacts become apparent and has reduced the noise quite a bit. I did the mod just as an experiment but you can do a whole lot better with an RNC for not a lot more money.

anonymous Mon, 04/04/2005 - 05:59

A friend of mine has tons of them(alesis) in his audio remote truck..
He's done pretty big stuff (blur, metallica, what not) so I guess that's worth something..I used his truck once, and absolutely hated those things...really, really hated them to the point of hatred on a behringer level...
But, hey, he makes some beautiful audio though...

jonyoung Mon, 04/04/2005 - 06:53

The RNC ROCKS! (Only downside is you'll have to make a box to convert from balanced to unbalanced if you're feeding it a balanced signal, since the TRS inputs are set up to function as an inverted insert). Extremely versatile box, everything from completely transparent to heavy squash, and easy to dial in.

anonymous Wed, 04/20/2005 - 11:56

I too,own the Alesis 3630-------after a great and indepth explanation of of "threshold-attack-release etc....from guys here at RO,like Kurt-David French-and several others-----I was able maximize the 3630s abilities.
In my opinion,it works well but dont push it too hard.
Its a good comp for those who dont have lots of $$$$-the biggest thing is really understanding how compression works.

schizojames Thu, 05/12/2005 - 15:13

I went searching for the parts required...
Burr Brown was bought by Texas Instruments...the parts were reported to me as obsolete.
THAT components could only be found in quantities of 30 or so, as they are based in Europe.

Digikey techs said that the Fairchild opamp's (JFETQ LF347NFS-ND) are just 76 cents a piece, and apparently as good or better. They also found an IC BIFET 14dip (AD713KN-ND) that is apparently better...if it even does the same thing! Those are $10.18 a piece.

Are there any takers for some kind of group buy? If not, there must be parts suppliers that still have the Burr-Brown stock laying around...but these places are difficult to find.

I am going to do some more calling...let me know if anyone finds these parts.

James
InnerSpace