forums, blogs, song critique, support & more...

Motu 896 or Presonus Firepod

Hello,
I have been searching for a good interface for awhile now to do great sounding home recording with a band. Between the 2 that I have narrowed it down to . What is the concensus on which one of the units would you buy, and why. I am told that both of these units are zero latency monitoring, and that is something I am looking for. Also I am told they both have great mic pre's

Motu 896 or Presonus Firepod ???

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Youngerone

Tags

Comments

phantompower Fri, 09/23/2005 - 11:43

firepod

AcousTronic Fri, 09/23/2005 - 21:04

Re: firepod

phantompower wrote: i have the firepod and im really happy with it, although it wont work with protools, and i dont know anything about the motu

I'm in the oposite position, I don't know anything about Firepod, but LOVE my 896HD!!! Had it for about 5 months and never a problem. Just finished a piece that used 15 stereo tracks, 4 mono tracks and 12 midi tracks, along with a ton of plug-ins, and it never even thought of giving me latency!! And I have an old G4 with only 768 SD RAM, running Logic Pro 7, didn't tax the CPU at all. The DSP feature of the MOTU is a GODSEND!!

PinguinoGrande Sun, 09/25/2005 - 07:59

I would think the 828 because I like the ADAT ins and outs but there is quite a price difference.

What are others opinions on the preamps in comparision??

wavline1820m Sun, 09/25/2005 - 15:27

in my opinion, i would go with the 896...i have the 828 mkII and absoloutly, love it...never had a problem, although, i would think, that the presonus, pres, are better.......i dont quite know....the motu , uses, class a pres, but, i am thinkin, that the presonus, has better pres....can any one, clear this up???????

but, that being said, motu, and rme, are about the only 2 companies, i would consider.....

Chris

wavline1820m Sun, 09/25/2005 - 15:29

oh, btw, what ever you do, dont get tricked into buying any emu cards. they really stink , and there tech support is almost non existant.

Chrs

younger Sun, 09/25/2005 - 21:52

So it sounds like the overall is for the motu..Which of the 2 has the better pre's? Anyone here ever compare?
PLease let me know
Thanks
Younger

Profile picture for user zerosin

zerosin Mon, 10/03/2005 - 16:57

RME is known for nice preamps and converters. I almost went with the FireFace instead of the MiniMe but I wanted to do field recording.