Skip to main content


Member for

21 years
I've wanted to try re-amp'ing guitars for a while. These are some questions I still have:

1.) Getting appropriate signal to my computer: will my GT Brick function as well as a specialized DI if I use the Instrument Input --> Instrument Thru configuration? This is from the literature:


2.) Getting appropriate signal to my amp: my interface has pairs of quarter-inch outputs to assign to speaker sets. These are presumably mono. Using Reaper, I can assign "Audio Hardware Outputs" for individual tracks. Can I assign a DI'd guitar track to one of these outs and run a T/S cable--either speaker or instrument grade--right into my amp?

Even having to use a transformer along the way would be much cheaper than a ProRMP or a Reamp box, but I have to assume that there's some benefit of using these specialized boxes than trying to do it this way.


Member for

19 years 10 months

Kev Fri, 02/01/2008 - 13:45
yes a DI box and the Brick can be used to get the signal into the computer
you may only need to use the Brick as it has an Inst Input

The Inst Thu Output can be used to feed the Guit Amp

A Re-amplifier style box does provide some specialized features.
You can find some Transformer ideas at Jensen Transformers
look for their applications notes.

You are on the right track but some experimenting will be needed to find the method you are happy with.
There is no single correct answer.

Member for

21 years

Member Fri, 02/01/2008 - 14:02
I got myself all worked up with the idea, but I just tried it. The result was a flat-sounding guitar.

Getting from my computer to the amp, I think, is the problem. I had good level and no distortion artifacts in the DI'd guitar, but when sending the signal to my amp I got either a.) distortion from sending to the signal too hot or b.) noise from reducing the send level. It has to be an impedance problem somewhere along the way.

Any suggestions for the interface-to-guitar amp routing?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Kev Fri, 02/01/2008 - 14:15
get a look at that Jensen app note

look at

do you have a Transformer DI box ?

sometimes when used in the reverse direction they can work
... you will need a female to female XL adapter

just for the fun of it

Member for

21 years

Member Sat, 02/02/2008 - 00:06
[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.alesis.c…"]Here's[/]="http://www.alesis.c…"]Here's[/] a picture of my interface. As specific as I can be, here's the path I'm using:

1.) DI-recorded guitar track (using my GT Brick), solely assigned to Speaker Out 3 in the photo above

2.) T/S instrument cable out from Speaker Out 3...

3.) ...terminates at guitar amplifier.

But based on what I heard today, it seems that either:
* I need to use a non-instrument cable from the interface to the amp, or
* I need a transformer or other device between steps 2 and 3.

Any advice is appreciated. Apologies for anything that's beyond my understanding.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Kev Sat, 02/02/2008 - 11:55
my first problem is that I don't see Speaker Out 3
I do see out 3/4

abd yes you can assign the recorded DI-guitar track to output 3

A T/S intrument cable is OK
but you will need to get the Level and Impedance to look like a guitar
to be acceptable to the Guitar Amp input

try it as is and you may find you need the volume of the amp veryvery low
and you may have hum from a ground loop
and it could be very noisy

the transformer idea helps to solve these things

A transformered DI box can do this

T/S cable to
T/S to XL female
backwards into DI box ... XL male
second T/S cable to Amp

what you don't have here is the volume or impedance control