Skip to main content

Hello,

Sorry if this is not the right place for this but I am having a bit of an issue trying to get the AT2035 mic to be picked up on Windows.

Currently I have the AT2035 mic connected with an XLR to XLR cable to the Nady SMPS-1x phantom power and a XLR to 3.5mm from the Nady SMPS-1x to the computer jack.
When I turn on the power you can hear a pop for a moment on the computer showing that it activates but the mic does not pick up anything. I am using the recording device manager to watch for any spikes in the mic picking anything up, not any recording programs yet, just want windows to show activity on it.

I tried changing the format to all the different bit rate options the computer offers but no change.
All the equipment and cables are brand new.

Is there some equipment I am missing or a program that needs to be installed for it? forgive me I am quite new at all of this.

Comments

Boswell Tue, 05/09/2017 - 02:51

Your computer input jack is probably stereo (two channel unbalanced) and you are sending a balanced mono signal to it. In addition, the computer jack will be supplying plug-in power, which is a d.c. powering voltage of around 5V. This is not going to damage anything, but it is likely to be the cause of the pop that you hear when plugging into the jack.

As Kurt said, what you need is an external pre-amp with USB interface. It doesn't need to be a very expensive one to get accepatable quality, so something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Presonus Audiobox iOne would give good results. I know having an audio interface like that by-passes the need for the external phantom power unit, but a sympathetic retailer would offer a trade-in.

Bradley Tue, 05/09/2017 - 12:04

Boswell, post: 450162, member: 29034 wrote: Your computer input jack is probably stereo (two channel unbalanced) and you are sending a balanced mono signal to it. In addition, the computer jack will be supplying plug-in power, which is a d.c. powering voltage of around 5V. This is not going to damage anything, but it is likely to be the cause of the pop that you hear when plugging into the jack.

As Kurt said, what you need is an external pre-amp with USB interface. It doesn't need to be a very expensive one to get accepatable quality, so something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Presonus Audiobox iOne would give good results. I know having an audio interface like that by-passes the need for the external phantom power unit, but a sympathetic retailer would offer a trade-in.

Awesome thanks for all the info everyone! this info will help out a lot!

joey2000 Sat, 06/17/2017 - 17:24

If he really wants to go for an inexpensive solution, why propose a mixer over an AI? Granted $50 is hard to beat, but it might have lower gain etc.

I can't speak to how good or not that first model is, but the second one appears to be a mixer only, i.e. no audio interface abilities...not the way to go...