Skip to main content

I've searched the Forum and can't find anything about this specific topic...there might be info I missed about the follow-up questions. Sorry if this is a double post.

We have an old (relatively) Tascam CD-RW 700 we've used in the past as a mixdown deck. We really like it. However...Tascam has put out a few newer models since we bought the 700.

The main question is:

Is it worth upgrading from the 700 or will that fill our needs for a mixdown deck as long as we're sticking to CD format for mixdowns?

I know the newer models have more bells and whistles, but I wasn't sure if there's a difference in actual sound quality.

We're holding off on an analog deck because of dependability and maintenence issues. Is using the CD-RW 700 better or worse than bouncing to disc or going to DAT? I know it's subjective, but I respect the opinions of a lot of you here.

Thanks!

Fred

Comments

AudioGaff Thu, 07/26/2007 - 01:07

Unless one of the newer Tascam models is the newer DSD CD Recorder, then I would say you don't gain enough to bother to upgrade. Any DAT recorder would likely have old harsher converters. The only real problem with direct CD recording is that you can't monitor off the CD so you don't know if it is all good until you play it all back.

anonymous Thu, 07/26/2007 - 07:49

Hmm...DSD. I'll look into that. I'm definitely trying to find ways *not* to spend money, so I'd much rather be content with what we have. Thank you for your reply.

Are you a two track analog mixdown kind of person? What do you recommend to circumvent the lack of being able to monitor directly off the CDR as you go?

Thanks again!

Fred

AudioGaff Thu, 07/26/2007 - 10:27

Yes, I do mixing, audio sweetening and budget mastering services on a regular basis. If you have something that works for you, then there really is no need to do or buy anything. If you are mixing in real time with an external mixer, then in addition to recording to your Tascam CD-R, I would also suggest recording to some sort of hard disk recorder or computer via audio interface. This can be used as a backup to the CD-R. If the CD-R is not good you can copy/record from hard disk to the Tascam via digital interfacing. If you are using a computer, you can also use software for any additional post audio sweetening/processing that may be desired or needed.

anonymous Thu, 07/26/2007 - 13:35

I meant, do you use an analog two track for your mixdown/mastering, or do you stay within the digital domain?

I'd prefer a nice ATR or Studer or something, but at this point, I'd feel more comfortable with something a little more reliable in the short run. Is bouncing to disc and then transferring to CD just as reliable as just mixing down to a CD-RW in real time?

Thanks once more!

AudioGaff Thu, 07/26/2007 - 18:41

Very rare that I use tape anymore. I sold the Studer that I used to own and no one seems to want to pay for tape even if I can get a hold of a decent analog 1/2 track.

Hard disk recording or analog tape can have the same kind of problems. The point is more to cover your ass and not rely on any single method or media type when doing a mixdown. Most dedicated hard disk recorders even hard disk recording on computers is pretty reliable these days. If you only use your Tascam, then a bad or bad batch or CD-R's can make you waste your time.

x

User login