Skip to main content

So what's the big difference between these standards?

Sorry, let me back up. I've been engineering in Jamaica for a bit and noticed that power is regulated thru 110V / 50Hz sockets... so i started wondering, what can this do to gear? How do speakers respond differently (eg. if I had a set of KRK V8 here and monitored a session, how would that same mix translate in the US/Canada?).

I've heard that the bass is lower here, hi freq are duller and a whole hosts of myths. i'm tryin to make sense out of nonsense... what's the overall deal?

Comments

Boswell Fri, 12/14/2007 - 02:59

How you power the gear should be independent of how it sounds. The gear's power supply has to be set up for the correct voltage for the part of the world you are in, unless it is an auto-sensing unit, when it will switch automatically. After that, it will produce the same output for powering the gear wherever you are. Most power supplies will work on 50Hz or 60Hz.

With loudspeakers, one possible difference is the stiffness of the cone can change between a hot, humid climate and a cold,dry one. It's this sort of thing rather than the mains voltage that could have an effect on the sound.