Skip to main content

Ok, a not quite hypothetical situation...

I have a 20'x30' room and $20,000 to build a Pre-production/Project/Writing studio.

What kind of stuff would you recommend?

I have some ideas and everything, but the more ideas I can get to research, etc. the better off I'll be, so...

I need info on everything:
Computers (as well as types of Hard drives and RAM)
Sound Card Interface
Software
Synths (rackmount or non)
Samplers (rachmount or non)
Mics
Acoustic treatment
Outboard gear (if any)
Mixer/Board (I'd prefer suggestions on a DAW)
Near-field monitors
Amps
DI boxes
Headphones

The works...

ANY and all help is welcomed. Let the ideas, suggestions and reasons flow! :D

Comments

maintiger Thu, 05/19/2005 - 08:35

Welcome to RO, gearjunkie. You might want to start by utilizing the search function as this question has come up quite a few times, ie; the 10,000 studio, the 20.000 studio. the 50,00 studio etc. beyound that we need to know if you are going to digital or analog, go mac or pc, and most important do you have any experience at all with recording? If you do have some experience, then build on what you have. If you don't, there are steeps learning curves in every aspect of recording. You have to learn your daw, learn mic placement, learn eq, compression and all the other tools we have at our disposal. If you wrere given the keys to a state of the art studio and you knew nothing about recording, I doubt you could figure anything out by yourself- it takes time, it takes effort, it takes dedication... it takes chops, and those are adquired through effort and dedication only.

Please realize that we are not trying to discourage you here, but we need to know where you ar at befor we can help.

anonymous Thu, 05/19/2005 - 14:54

Thank you very much for your reply. I will attempt to use the search function.

To answer your questions however...
I would like to go Digital (ie, record to computer, digital board, etc).
I would like to use a PC (yes I know that Macs are "better" but more so out of the box...PCs can pretty much be as well equipped for recording, you just have to know what the computer needs and build the computer yourself or have it custom made).

Yes, I have done recording myself. Basically, I have a pretty solid base of knowledge on everything you mentioned and more. Also I have a pretty good background with both Cubase and ProTools. I just don't have any recording gear of my own (as of yet).

Anyway, thanks again for your reply. I will try and make use of the search function, but if anyone cares to reply and offer suggestions, feel free to do so.

maintiger Fri, 05/20/2005 - 08:54

In the daw forums we have here at RO we have knowleageble people that can help you put together an efficient pc daw. Im a mac guy myself as I use Digital performer, which is only for macs- Should you change your mind and decide to go mac I'll be happy to help you with that.

For acoustic treatments, go to the acoustic forum. The great peole there will help you make your studio sound better. Same with most of your questions. If you break them down by categories and post in the appropiate forums you will get specific answers. here you will get some general answers, which you can then narrow down as ask those who know. We have great resources in this forum, namely our people. many pros and semipros here who are willing to help you - good luck!

anonymous Mon, 05/23/2005 - 04:14

equipment

Hey i cant really give you any advice because i am new to recording, but i have a studio that i just finished with a friend not to long ago, she was the one who knew how to use all the equipment, anyway that all fell threw with her and i cant do the studio by myself so I have all that equipment for sale now. And If you want i can email you a list of of what i have.