Skip to main content

hi all,

AKG C4500B-BC i understand they are for broadcast, but do you see them being used for vox or instruments? are they any good?

thanks in advance.

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Wed, 07/01/2009 - 22:52

Well, they're not known for making crappy microphones. This one would certainly be adequate in most any application. Is indicated that it is a large diaphragm condenser microphone but at the same time, indicates it can function from anywhere from 9 volts to 48 volts. This is a dead giveaway that this is a permanently polarized back electret. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Many tiny & miniature condenser microphones utilize this technology. Much has improved from their earlier incarnations and they are every bit as good as non-polarized 48 volt necessary studio condenser microphones. This particular microphone is also designed to reduce proximity effect. So you'll be happy to know it will rarely sound muddy. It's not a microphone that should disappoint. Many of us base the purchase of equipment upon the track record of the Company. We know generally they don't make junk in this price category. If you get a good deal? Go for it. You'll always find a use for it.

Every now and then I'd like to have a few different microphones than what I have. You can never have too many.

I don't have too many
Ms. Remy Ann David

Cucco Thu, 07/02/2009 - 12:41

The real question is -
What do you hope for it to do that your existing mics and/or the potential 414 won't?

Personally, I detest the C4000 and C4500. The mid range on these mics make them very hard to mix with anything without it automatically getting buried. For instruments, it's mostly a non-starter. It's not strong on guitars (acoustic or electric), it's not great for drum overheads (WAY too bright and off-axis is a mess) and only okay for voice.

The 414 for a similar price is a far more versatile mic (which is saying a lot since I find the 414 to be about as vanilla as they get). Other mics in the same price range that should be considered -
AT 4050
Rode K2
Rode NT2000
Little bit pricier but worth every dime:
Bock U195

Cheers-
Jeremy

Imaginaryday Fri, 07/03/2009 - 00:21

Cucco wrote: The real question is -
What do you hope for it to do that your existing mics and/or the potential 414 won't?

the akg i am looking to get is to be had for little money and can be another spice in my spice rack. i was thinking of using it with upright bass for a jazz session i have lined up.

i look at 414 as my next swiss army knife. i did use it once with a friend of mine and found it to be bright in a good way.

it's very interesting to me to hear the love hate thing with mics. i guess i can always sell i if not happy with.

jammster Fri, 07/03/2009 - 07:15

Cucco wrote: The mid range on these mics make them very hard to mix with anything without it automatically getting buried.

Question is this. Is a AKG C4500 worth the money for musical applications?
Jeremy has a good point, C4000 does have a funny midrange factor.

Also, the amount of treble is not musical at times. Remember that the C4500 is more for getting a broadcast voice quality.

Best thing to do is make a bargain offer on the mic, that way your not risking much if you find it to be of little use for your musical applications.

Remember that getting a bargain price on a mic does not always mean its a good investment. In other words, I would not sell my Neumann at a loss because its worth what I paid for it!

TheJackAttack Fri, 07/03/2009 - 09:36

the akg i am looking to get is to be had for little money

This is a very telling remark. Good microphones do not go cheap into that good night. They also don't take the path less traveled unless they are prototypes. What other inane pithy comments can I plug in?

If someone is unloading it at a stupidly low price other than a vindictive exwife/exgirlfriend (like the U87 gal) then I'd stay the heck away from it.