Skip to main content

I'm going to build a computer for a pro-studio here in town. I told the guy he should go with one of the new Asus boards w/533 fsb, Rambus (he wants a gig), and a P4 Northwood. Someone else told him that This will have many issues particularly with Asio drivers under certain conditions, Latency, and Vst Instruments. I've been all over the Cubase and Nueno forums trying to find where this supposedly came from and I haven't turned up anything. Any comments?

Comments

Opus2000 Wed, 06/19/2002 - 12:34

Well, here's the scoop. the big difference is the memory. DDR is actually better for low latency audio applications over RDRAM. RDRAM is necessary for the faster chips but only for graphic or video games so to speak...DDR gets you faster response which in turn gets you lower latency.
It has to do with the cycles in the memory and how fast they run.
Otherwise there won't be a problem regarding the 533 FSB...if anything that will help in the long run..won't reduce latency but will help with PCI bandwidth and allowing for more data throughput.
Opus

anonymous Mon, 06/24/2002 - 07:25

I've got 256 megs of the stuff and I'm thoroughly impressed. My mobo can hold 3 gigs of DDR. I'd really like to see it filled up. But, at $420 bucks a stick, I think I'll wait for the "Double Data" price to come down...LOL. I've read the Opus guide to tweaking XP and could definitely benefit from the changes recomended. But, my family and I use this rig as a general purpose workstation. Having only implemented very few of the changes, the only thing slowing my rig down is the user..LOL :D DDR (IMHO) is the way to go.

Latrz,
O

P.S.- Opus how 'bout a contact list authorization? TIT for TAT :D