Skip to main content

Hello all, I am going to school to be a recording engineer and I am beginning to build my own studio. I am searching for a well-built, good quality firewire interface for around $600 give or take 100. I am looking to record everything from acoustic stuff to metal so I need something that can handle a broad range of tunes. I am running a fairly new 2.4 ghz iMac with plenty of memory, which has Logic 8 on it. I prefer Logic to Pro Tools so I would like to stick with that. I have looked all over at reviews of different units like the firepod and fw410, but the reviews are either spectacular or horror stories. I just want a reliable, quality unit with at least 8 ins. A appreciate everyones help and hope to get to know you all very well. Thanks!

Comments

anonymous Mon, 03/17/2008 - 15:36

I have, and am a big fan of the MOTU 896, which has 8 inputs, is sturdy as hell, records at anywhere from 96k-192k depending on which revision you get. It's got some issues as far as which firewire cards it likes and doesn't, but other than that it's pretty nice. The pres aren't great, but they're not terrible. New, the 896 HD retails for 999, but you can find them cheaper on eBay, and the mkII used on eBay you get get for a couple hundred. I think I paid $450 for mine. Hope that's useful,

Nathan