Skip to main content

I'm looking into getting the ol' Digi 001 system to play around with. Mostly just wanting to do acoustic stuff at home (on desktop PC), but I would also like to be able to do some live recordings at gigs as well using my laptop. I understand how the card works in a desktop but how do I use my laptop? And, I can use the software on both computers right (desktop-XP, laptop-Vista)?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 07/26/2009 - 09:34

The 001 uses a PCI card, so I don't see how you could use it with a laptop. (Unless maybe there is an express card adapter - I can't find one, but I did find some posts that indicate it is an expensive solution.)

I think the 002 would be a better solution if you want to use a laptop. You will be able to use the software on both computers if the computers meet the minimum requirements.

Cheers,
Dave

TheJackAttack Sun, 07/26/2009 - 10:44

http://www.magma.com/products/pci/1PCI/index.html

Expect it to add latency. PT LE has to be registered so if your version has been registered already then it may or may not work.

Versions of various OS compatibility:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&eid=847&categoryid=35

Bottom line: Can you make it work? Yes. Especially if you have a pocket protector and tape around your glasses. Will it be easily portable? Not so much.

Again there are far superior interfaces available today without this monkey cluster adapter business.

anonymous Sun, 07/26/2009 - 14:10

Thanks guys...

Wow, that adapter is more expensive than the 001 system itself! I was looking on ebay at 001's for $150-ish

According to the second link posted, it has no mention of Vista at all....hmmm...

You are right, I dont want to have to rig this all up with contraptions...So, what "far superior" interfaces and software (looking for complete package) is available for under $200?

TheJackAttack Sun, 07/26/2009 - 15:05

You are correct. The 001 is NOT supported under Vista or any recent Mac OS. The reason you are seeing them for $150 on eBay is because they aren't compatible with new systems and their preamps are not up to snuff. That means people are unloading them for next to nothing. Trust me, when the 001 was new it was a long way from $150.

Your requirement of $200 for something with 8 ins and 8 outs isn't really reasonable. The cheapest interface I recommend is the Konnekt 24D. Then we jump to various Presonus units like the FS Project and the 2626; Mackie units like the Onyx mixers or the odd 400f on sale; Focusrite Sapphire series; M-Audio Profire series; etc.

If you are fixated on Digi, then get an 002. The preamps in the Focusrite and Onyx and likely the Presonus gear are better but they don't say "Digi" on them.

No, it ain't cheap. Cheap is never good. Also, when you see a "great deal" on eBay there is probably a very good reason-just like the "cheap" 001. Caveat emptor.

dvdhawk Sun, 07/26/2009 - 20:00

I have a Digi 001 on one of my desktop systems and the necessary PCI card, would make it nearly impossible to fly it on a laptop. It has to support the multipin between the interface and the card, plus the ADAT optical TOSLINK in/out connectors. It's not a bad piece of gear, but I think any money you 'saved' buying one, would evaporate pretty quickly trying to retrofit the laptop - and performance would almost certainly suffer.

anonymous Sun, 07/26/2009 - 20:39

Fair enough. I think I'm narrowing it down to the 002 or the PreSonus FireStudio Project. That comes with Cubase correct? I've used PT before, I'm assuming these are very similar right? I'm unsure of what a firewire port is though...

Both of these units should be compatible with both my desktop (XP), and laptop (Vista) correct? Plug and play is what I need, no ropes or hurdles!