Skip to main content

thought this was pretty cool. Sounds heavily edited, and polished, but at least they are using them in the video. Song is definitely more interesting withe the full arrangement, the acoustic version is a bit boring after a couple minutes

Topic Tags

Comments

pcrecord Thu, 02/05/2015 - 18:45

kmetal, post: 424743, member: 37533 wrote: Sounds heavily edited, and polished, but at least they are using them in the video.

K, I'm sure you weren't in doubt that the SMs could sound right in many situation (with right preamps of course)
I use them live all the time, sometime they are ok, sometime they are great, depending on the source..
And in studio, there ain't any full band comming to record that doesn't use one or two SMs somewhere in the tracking ;)

DonnyThompson Fri, 02/06/2015 - 02:43

LOL... I'm kinda with Marco on this one, Kyle... were you really in doubt that a 58 or 57 would sound good?

Maybe they're not the nicest sounding mic in existence (depending on the pre of course) but I'd never consider them to ever sound bad.

Great live mics to be sure, but also very useful in the studio, too.

Snare, guitar amps, toms, vocals, horns, and yes, even kick drum... I can't count the number of recordings I've done (and in 35 years of recording, I've done more than a few) where there wasn't at least one 57 or 58 (or both) involved somewhere on the tracks. ;)

Big_D Fri, 02/06/2015 - 13:31

I'll go a step further and say I could be quite happy with nothing but SM57, SM58, SM81 and Beta 52 to record an album, And have! My first serious recordings were made with exactly those mics. Sure I have other mics to use and do and I'm very happy with them all but if I were forced to choose one manufacturer, it would be Shure. Their stuff just works.

kmetal Sun, 02/08/2015 - 06:10

Never do I doubt the 57. I was just taken by how good this actually sounds, in a situation where you don't normally pick these first. Almost everyone instinctually goes for a condenser for this type of acoustic pop thing. My first time using a 57 was on snare acoustic and vocals. Same mic, same day, same song lol. This is the best example of "all I need is some shures and I'll make a record' sentiment, I've seen/heard.

kmetal Mon, 02/09/2015 - 02:05

That pickup looks like an L.R Baggs. Popular with a lot of the blues guys. I like them cuz you don't have to modify an acoustic guitars much for the electronics. They feed back like a mother so that's why I don't like em in some situtaions. Something like this where the volume and gains are all fairly low, is good.

I wouldn't a be surprised if the DI guitar played a significant role, in the mix. also a credit to the 57 /58 pickup patterns as well for the tightness an clairity of the mix. They aren't the tightest, but usefully good, long live the 57 / 58.

Have any of you guys noticed a difference in the older ones sonically? A buddy of mine swears the older ones had better transformers in them and were therefore better. While Im sure he exhaggerated how much difference it makes, jw what yall think about that. All I can say from experience is an old silver unudyne (forget the model ) had a on off switch, but looked like a 57 , sounded similar but a bit dull. Ther than that, 57s and 58s usually all sound the pretty much the same to me.