Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

Brief Question first: UA Solo/610 or the Saffire 56

My Setup:
Two Mackie MR8 monitors coming from the Line Out on onboard soundcard
One ART Tube Amp preamp into Line In on onboard soundcard
Microphones: Beyer-Dynamic M160 M260 M201, SM57, Audix D6, Audio-Technica ATM25

I record in an apartment in an awkwardly shaped room. As for the music I'm recording here is the last song I recorded: http://snd.sc/pvKdY4"]Throwing the Switch by iamprot[/]="http://snd.sc/pvKdY4"]Throwing the Switch by iamprot[/]

My MAIN question relates to this: I feel like in my recordings I've been lacking a good presence for vocals(skill/mix aside). How would the Liquid preamps compare to the preamp in the solo/610? If I spent more for the Saffire would I miss the single (possibly) higher quality of the solo/610 preamp for the higher amount of actual preamps/Liquid in the Saffire?

I'm moving into a house to where I can record drums (will need more inputs-could make better use of the Saffire56)

By the way, in regards to the track I linked I have a critique post open on it here:
http://recording.org/song-and-mix-collaboration/49971-critique-ipswich-vs-wall-throwing-switch.html# (i apologize if this isn't allowed)

Onwards,

Joey Wilkinson
Austin, TX

http://www.twitter.com/vsthewall

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 07/23/2011 - 07:18

Hey Joey! I thought your sound was pretty cool. If you are looking for a brighter more contemporary sound, you might want that Safire 56. Don't get rid of the 610 though. Bottom line, the presence you are lacking is because you are using a $1500 microphone preamp plugged into a $5 IC chip. So what do you think is wrong with this picture now? $700 M 160 German ribbon microphone and $5 IC chip. What you really need here Joey is a decent, USB or FireWire line level AD/DA Converter. The built-in line level input on your laptop is akin to a 65 Corvair competing at a Daytona 500 race. No matter how well you drive, you're never going to win with that. I don't care what you paid for that laptop. It can't cut the mustard. Even an $80 US EDIROL UA1ex or M Audio Transit can substantially outperform your crap top laps Auxiliary Infraction.

I try to be as translucent as possible
Mx. Remy Ann David

RemyRAD Sat, 07/23/2011 - 11:59

Oh yeah that almost tube preamp that doesn't amp any microphone from the tube. Check, got that. It would probably sound better if you unplugged the tube?

While I certainly would recommend the 610, I've never ever really felt that a single microphone input could ever be adequate. 2 is almost stupid as well. I've always preferred at least 3. I never worried about 3 exceptional inputs but only 3 inputs. Perhaps it was because I was always lousy at math that I was able to count up to 3? Or maybe it's because my Presto 900R1 Recorder I had as a kid had 3 microphone inputs? This isn't mine but that was mine, Back in 1968 when I was 12. Yup, I made my first rock 'n roll recording with my two best friends while still in elementary school as captain of the AV team. The recorder had been my late grandfather's. Years later I converted it into a broadcast style mixer with an additional input selector & cueing capabilities, for my second high school that had no radio station. After I got there, it did. And if this thing is that old with 3 inputs, you should have that also.

Old board. Old broad.
Mx. Remy Ann David

Attached files

thejoey57 Sat, 07/23/2011 - 15:55

Feeling nostalgic? The best I had when I was 12 was my dad's Carver amp and Advent speakers. He didn't appreciate it when I poked the tweeter.... :(

As far as your counting to three and such; I feel that's the answer I was looking for. I was just unable to see if the difference between one input verse 4 or 8 inputs would have much on the quality front.
I have not been in many studios and so actually hearing the difference between these becomes a bit of an issue. From the four comparisons I've read it seems to be Saffire56 > Digi003 (new to this conversation)

Thanks for your thoughts Remy