Skip to main content

Does anybody here use this?

I'm sort of intrigued by it. I know it's supposed to have a very transparent sound, so I'm wondering how a pair would work as mains, piano or general duties.

I haven't seen it used very often for musical applications, although I've often seen it used for voice-over work -often coupled with a U87.

In this part of the world, a second-hand TLM-170 original version costs about 65% of the price of a second-hand U87 although they are the same price new.

Thanks
John

Comments

FifthCircle Tue, 03/29/2005 - 15:17

I've used them a bunch... When they work, they are great... However, they can be one of those "picky" mics to use. Sometimes they sound a bit "limp" as compared to other mics out there, but on some instruments that can be a good thing. For brass they work well, for choirs, they can sound good. The multiple patterns are certainly a help. When close micing strings, they can also do well, but I wouldn't use them as a main orchestral or string quartet pickup.

--Ben

John Stafford Wed, 03/30/2005 - 08:59

Ben
Thank you for the info. They're probably not the mic I'm looking for. Like the U89, I've rarely heard anyone get passionate about these mics. The attraction for me is that they're so cheap second hand, and they have lots of patterns. I suppose I should keep looking, as I'm still not 100% sure of what I want from a multi-pattern mic.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
John

Cucco Wed, 03/30/2005 - 09:18

Hey John,

I'm not sure what happened, but I put up a reply and now I see it's not here. :evil:

My thought on the TLM170 is that it's one of the better "new" mics Neumann has introduced in a while (definitely embarasses the TLM103). A mic that, instead of trying to "emulate" finer mics of previous days simply produces it's own and distinct sound. I can see where ben is coming from suggesting that it might sound "limp" on some sources - I would never use it on a Dvorak wind section for example. But for piano and chorus, it's a downright good mic.

My thoughts though - for the money - the MG M930 - impossible to beat for anywhere near the price.

J.

John Stafford Wed, 03/30/2005 - 15:36

Thanks Jeremy
There is something up, as the little orange thingy didn't show up even when you posted this time.

The MG930 is tempting, although over here I think the M296 is very near it in price. That's SERIOUSLY tempting! The problem is though, that they hold their value, and I can't really afford a pair new. The TLM170i doesn't hold its value (although I think it's the same as the newer version apart from the remote control).

There are great bargains to be had with the MKHs, but they hardy ever show up on the market (other than the shotguns). It's a strange marketplace, as I've seen current Schoeps models go for more second-hand than new! Maybe that's because people are looking in the wrong place for their prices on new models (or maybe I deal with gangsters :twisted: ).

It's just so hard to choose, but the one thing in the 170's favour is that it's multipattern.

Oh decisions, decisions.....how exquisitely agonising :wink:

John

John Stafford Thu, 03/31/2005 - 09:23

Hi Rich
They can be had for less than 800 euro. I don't know if that's good by American standards, but I've never come across a decent U87 for much less than e1500. I don't know if that seems cheap to you, but pricing structures for new mics are very different over here.

I'd like to try the older 170 without the newer circuit boards and compare it to the current model.

John

John Stafford Sun, 04/03/2005 - 22:15

Hi Rich
I sent you an e-mail and it bounced back for some reason. Maybe you could try and e-mail me and see if it gets through. I have an MSN account so it's not always the most reliable.

I don't want to put my e-mail address on a forum due to the spam risk. The first four letters are john followed by staf without any spaces in between, and I'm at msn.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
John

anonymous Tue, 04/05/2005 - 08:55

We totally endorse the TLM-170 and the U-89 as examples of flat sounding mics. They are particularly good on choir because they minimize siblilant sound and not together "Sssss. . ." sounds in the ensemble. Also wonderful on wood wind and strings.

The two mics use the same capsule, but different electronics.

800 Euro is a good price for these by any standards. In the US, if you can find them for $1200.00 or less, you are getting a great mic for great money.

Just forget the arguments that some make that they sound limp or otherwise flaccid. If you need assistance in a "personal" of "private" part of your life , there are other alternatives much different than a microphone.

anonymous Tue, 04/05/2005 - 09:00

Hudson,

I have used my 193s (same cap) as mains for woodwinds and would also choose them for choral if my SF12 would not do (such as with an orchestra) but I am curious if you would use them for mains for situations other than these?

It also occurs to me that they could be nice on a brass quintet...or stg qt for less "slash and burn"....

Rich

anonymous Tue, 04/05/2005 - 11:31

Hudson,

I have used my 193s (same cap) as mains for woodwinds and would also choose them for choral if my SF12 would not do (such as with an orchestra) but I am curious if you would use them for mains for situations other than these?

It also occurs to me that they could be nice on a brass quintet...or stg qt for less "slash and burn"....

Rich