Skip to main content
forums, blogs, song critique, support & more...

Phantom Power?

Ok so I need phantom power can you buy a Phantom Power amp with in's and out's or what?, Yeah I know its newb.


Profile picture for user sheet

sheet Tue, 12/21/2004 - 18:06

Yes. Shure, Rane, Audio Technica, etc, etc make phantom power supplies.

The standards are 12, 24 and 48V. Many mics do not use a full 48V, but all of these will put it out anyway.

There is nothing special about the thing. You will have an in and an out. You will have to use a standard mic cable. Nothing special there. The DC piggybacks the AC signal on pins 2 and 3 and then returns on pin 1.

That's it.

patrickmerrill Tue, 12/21/2004 - 18:18

You're probably aware of this, but you should know that most preamps supply phantom power. So if you're planning to buy or if you own a preamp, this may be taken care of. Like sheet said, they're not at all sophisticated. In and out. They go for thirty bucks on Musicians Friend.

WhenBroken_IsE… Thu, 12/23/2004 - 00:35

Well i just Noticed that my TAC Magnum had a 48v button on each channel. I imagine I will try that before I spend cash on a Phantom Power Amp. I also have about 5 preamps, that im not using because each of my channels have built in pre's Thank you for your replys, it had not dawn'd on me that the 48v on my board was what it was before you said they come in 48v, lol, I am like a 3 yearold with a motorcycle, i think the thing looks great ( tac magnum ) and i know what its suposed to do. I just dont know much about it. I really need a manuel

patrickmerrill Thu, 12/23/2004 - 13:40

well, glad you found a solution.

haha yeah i felt stupid when i found the phantom power on my pre too