Skip to main content

Hello -- I'm new to the forums and my Sennheiser MKH416T just died.

It's been in a cabinet for over a year, hardly used at all (it's about 5 years old, I bought it used and tested it when I bought it from a Hollywood Sound guy -- worked fine then).

I can't say for sure it wasn't accidentally dropped by a maid or wife at some time -- but I've always handled it with kid gloves.

Sennheiser service in CT wants a grand up front for service.

Has anyone had one of these stop working in the past?

Is there an 'achilles heel' with these mics? Do they have certain things that tend to break a lot?

At $1,000 to fix my old one -- I might as well just buy a new one, or something else, right?

Finally, anyone know about service places that do good work -- but won't charge an arm and a leg?

I'm in the Hollywood California area.It would be cool if I could walk it into some place and actually speak to a Tech -- but I can mail it to a trusted place, as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, info...

Comments

RemyRAD Tue, 01/20/2009 - 00:02

Not sure which but I would check with some of the Hollywood equipment rental companies.

Contact your local television stations. Ask for an engineering manager. They all use those. They all have service techs.

What kind of power supply are you using? That model doesn't typically have an internal battery. And it's not necessarily phantom! You indicated a 416T. That indicates it's not phantom but "T" Powered. You need a special battery box for that. It's not necessarily designed to work on +48 volts.

Now you know what you've stolen
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Wed, 01/21/2009 - 11:27

Wow -- and I've got a bill of sale and everything, even wrote down the guy's license plate that sold it to me.

The guy who had a van full of booms and mics and who sure as Heck looked like a Soundman who was out of work and needed to pay his rent -- I even checked his IMDB, and sure enough he had 50+ credits as a sound guy, boom operator, location mixer.

Nice forum you have here -- you folks accuse everyone of being a thief?

Sayonara......