Skip to main content

So I am very excited to be purchasing this microphone I can't wait! As an owner of the Beta 52A I have come to respect the microphone and to the point I can tell if it's being used on a record or not just by hearing little nuances!

So do tell me the differences - pro's and con's - of the D112, what should I expect from this microphone, and any personal EQ tips that you've developed, from using this microphone, you can give me would be lovely!

Thanks
-Ashton

Comments

Cucco Mon, 10/15/2007 - 10:37

I get it.

When I want to try a piece of gear that I know I'll never get my hands on any other way, I head to Ebay and look for something that has already lost all the value that it's going to and buy it there.

The D112 is cheap (by some's standards) and if he doesn't like it, would cost only a few out of pocket dollars to throw back on Ebay.

That being said, I don't like either the D112 or the Beta 52, but if I had to choose between the two (gun to my head), I'd go with the D112. I find both of them to be too sloppy and nasty sounding. However, the D112 is a tad more refined and tasteful.

Cheers -

J.

multoc Mon, 10/15/2007 - 11:45

Ha no guys I'm not buying it blindly, I know what it sounds like, and I've used it in classes and live.

As far as it being sloppy I wouldn't characterize it as such, but I do agree the beta 52 is very sloppy and handles the upper frequencies in such a way that isn't very "shure-like" if you will.

My only questions are what you guys think of it either longtime users or not. What can I gain from using this microphone over say the beta 52 or 421.

That's all....no blind gear buying here, i'd be kicking myself if i just bought something i didn't know the first thing about

Davedog Mon, 10/15/2007 - 18:11

The D112 is a Beta52 with more 'ping' to it. I personally like the Beta over the D112 simply because it has a bit more low to it. As has been said, these are both very limited mics. If you want a mic you can really get the sound of the source out of with no compromises, then the MD421 is the ticket. Another high quality and really really cheap mic that will deliver in much the same way is the Audio Technica ATM25. The thing is, you will have to be a good drum tuner and have a clue about real mic placement to get the most out of the 421 and the ATM25. The Beta and the D112 sound the same pretty much anywhere you stick em. If I was going for one of these 'instant kick mics' I would have gotten a D6 Audix. Much better sounding. An even 'better' sounding kick drum mic but virtually impossible to find is the AKG D20.

Cucco Thu, 10/18/2007 - 10:59

Ha...
You shouldn't have to pay to be an intern, but you do need to purchase food, lodging, beverage, utilities....you know...essentials. Especially if it's not in your hometown and you like better living quarters than a cardboard box. (Although this might be good training for living once one does become an audio engineer....)

MadMax Thu, 10/18/2007 - 18:47

D112 on kick...

There's a coupla' tricks I do with it...

Stick it in the kick about 2" from the beater. Put it on an angle toward the hole... backwards... YES backwards.

Try the opposite angle.. "V".. where the bottom of the v is the beater and one leg is the hole and the other leg is 90'... make sense?

The other trick is 1/3 of the distance from the front head, facing the beater.

No matter what you do with it, you'll have to narrow scoop the poop... just like the 52... which you can phase flip and stick in the hole to cover both ends of the spectrum.

natural Thu, 10/18/2007 - 19:44

Actually the d112 can sound good on dbl headed kick drums especially on Jazz type kits.
But I second the ATM25 as one of the best kick drum mics.
And it does very well with toms too. But that's about it. (OK-sometimes I do put it on a bass amp and it's ok there, but just barely)
The major diff between the ATM25 and the D112 is the ATM25 is more hypercardiod. Whereas the AKG gets more of the shell sound, which gives you that sloppy sound. (but again, it's good for some things like Jazz kits etc)