Skip to main content

Hey Gang...

So, I installed the ARC 2 System yesterday.
The initial round of measurements - if they are correct - showed a 5db bump at 60Hz, a 5db bump at 200Hz, and a -5db dip at 2k - 4 k. Everything else was pretty even, with a + /- of around 2db, in various ranges over the spectrum.

The measurement process involves an SD/Omni Condenser ( included), and up to 12 different mic positions, although it will calculate as low as 6 positions, but this is not recommended, the manual suggests a 12 position test for best results.
The mic is not pointed at the speakers, rather, it's pointing straight up.

The test tone(s) are oscillating "whoop" sounds, (about 1-2 seconds each), starting from low frequencies and sweeping up through the spectrum to high frequencies.
Each step in the measurement phase includes both speakers, as well as just the Left speaker, and just the Right speaker.
The results are then calculated, and ARC 2 saves this "session", and turns the "corrected" curve into a VST plug, ( 64 bit) which is then inserted into the absolute last insert position on the Master Bus.

You can then choose a "target" scenario; such as "Flat", or, a simulation of other popular monitors and EQ curves can be called up as the target... such as NS10's, Car Stereo, Boombox, desktop computer speakers, etc. It also allows for Custom/User-defined targets as well.

Side Note: You don't leave this VST enabled for rendering/mix down, though... it's strictly a monitoring processor, you don't want to print it.

I measured several times, under a few different scenarios:

1. measured with just me in the room, with the door to the room behind me open.
2. same as 1, but with door closed, and this one showed an increase at 200Hz - 300Hz by 4 db
3. measured with 2 people in the room, (I recruited my girl Alicia), and with the door closed.
My thinking for #3 was that there would often be times where a client and myself would be in the room.
Will it matter? I don't know, but I thought I'd do a measurement for that particular scenario just in case.

The ARC 2 allows the user to measure for different "circumstances" and store them, to be used accordingly.
While I've been using these Eris 8's that Dave Hawk ( dvdhawk ) lent me, I also plan on doing a measurement with my Alesis M1's, and with my little Altec Cubes ( similar to Auratones) as well.
Each measurement is saved, under whatever title you want to name that particular measurement, such as this: "Eris E8's, 2 people, door closed"

I haven't tested any mixes yet; I planned on trying it today. Although, when I inserted the first measurement scenario ( #1 above), I did hear a difference, it did indeed sound a lot "flatter" to me in my mix position.

But until I can actually mix something and check the translation on outside playback scenarios, I won't know how effective the system is.

Stay tuned.

:)

Comments

pcrecord Wed, 03/08/2017 - 05:30

DonnyThompson, post: 448355, member: 46114 wrote: The initial round of measurements - if they are correct - showed a 5db bump at 60Hz, a 5db bump at 200Hz, and a -5db dip at 2k - 4 k. Everything else was pretty even, with a + /- of around 2db, in various ranges over the spectrum.

So you already have an idea what you could change in the room and redo the measurements and evaluate the impact of the changes.. That's nice !

DonnyThompson, post: 448355, member: 46114 wrote: Side Note: You don't leave this VST enabled for rendering/mix down, though... it's strictly a monitoring processor, you don't want to print it.

o_O . . . Of course !! :LOL:

Can't wait to hear about the results outside the studio

DonnyThompson Wed, 03/08/2017 - 07:22

dvdhawk, post: 448370, member: 36047 wrote: Maybe you could remix the raw multi-tracks tracks from a song on the "Love" CD. You would have a clear vision for what you wanted it to sound like, and a great pre-mastering 2-track file to compare it to.

LOL... Yeah, I could do that... or maybe I could just hang myself instead. LOL.
Sorry, bad joke. Don't take that wrong, I do dig the album .... but it damn near killed me.
Still, you may be on to something there. I'm gonna think about this. ;)

dvdhawk Wed, 03/08/2017 - 08:09

Of course familiarity breeds contempt, but do you know what it has going for it?.... Familiarity. I think working with tracks you already have an intimate (love/hate) understanding of, will really speed your room analysis project along. Troubleshooting should start with a known commodity, a reliable reference, not several more variables.

You're simultaneously trying to fine tune your acoustical treatment, and evaluate how well the ARC works. It was great having before / after mixes to show the effectiveness of the acoustical treatments with I'll Go To Sleep, but now, I'd be looking for something with a known outcome and see if I can match or surpass it. If not that particular project (Love), then find something else you're equally familiar with.

That'll be 2¢, please.

x

User login