Skip to main content

Hi all. A few months ago I recorded some tracks at a friends house on his Zoom MRS-1608. We went back and listened to them and they sounded pretty good, so I wanted to export them to my system for editing and to record new vocals. I know that there is an optional USB hookup on the Zoom, but my friend's not sure if he has it or not (got it a couple of years ago, and doesn't really know anything about comps, hence the Zoom), plus it would be a hassle to schlep it over here. I performed backup onto the onboard CD-R which seems to be the best way to copy all of the audio (as opposed to mixing down a master track for each individual instrument and burning one at a time, tho i could def get the wavs. that way). I figured I'd have some trouble transferring the files, but it's been even more tricky than I thought. What I have seen on some other forums is that you need to download the Audio File Manager from Zoom (check), copy the disc to your hard drive (check), rename or delete the backup.ini file (check), and AFM should recognize the .dat files no problem. So, all that's done, but the program still doesn't open the files. In fact, the program doesn't really do anything. None of the buttons on the main interface window work. It says that it's supported operating system is Windows, up to XP. I'm working with Win 7 64-bit. Is that just not going to work for me? If so, does anyone know of any work-arounds for this, or another way to transfer the .dat to .wav? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Wed, 03/31/2010 - 03:53

I think you may have a compatibility problem trying to use the Zoom software natively on a 64-bit OS. You don't state which version of Win7/64 you are running, but if it's Windows 7 Professional or higher (Prof, Enterprise or Ultimate), try running your Zoom software in XP mode (XPM). If you don't have XPM already, you can download it from the Microsoft website. You will need to enable virtualization in your BIOS.