Skip to main content

OK, so...
I have an AKG C 414B-XLS. A recent vintage, it has all the fancy electronic switching that they've employed
in their newer versions of that model. Silver-colored mesh, I like this mic for mois better than the U87 in the cabinet.
What is the difference between this one and the C 414B-ULS?
And what can you tell me about the C 414B TL II ?
I have a
I know that the differences are usually at the top end of the response curves, but I can't see any info as to what these differences are.
Any feedback would be appreciated...

Topic Tags

Comments

TheJackAttack Tue, 03/26/2013 - 00:00

The real difference is the old ULS is truly figure of 8 and sounds the same front or back. The newer XLS and XLII (I have a pair of both) are brighter sounding on the front capsule v the back capsule. The XLS is the darker sounding of the current generation and closest to the older ULS sound (front of cap at any rate). The other differences are of course in the electronics. It is difficult to repair the modern versions while the ULS is fairly simple for a repair shop to replace components. None of the electronics in mine have ever had any issues so that may be a moot point.

moonbaby Tue, 03/26/2013 - 07:57

John:
I remembered that you had posted about your pairs of 414's, thanks for the info . I will probably get the ULS as opposed to the pair of TLII's.
Donny:
I forgot about those EB's! I worked in a studio that had a pair of those when they first came out. They were dedicated to the Yamaha grand they had. I learned the hard way which way they oriented....LOL!!!
Thanks for the enlightenment!

x

User login