Skip to main content

I am having major problems getting this machine stable,dual 533.I have had DP on 604e,g3's,and two other g4's over the years.What I am wondering is a dual monitor card (promax agp)ok to use with this machine,I have trashed preffs two dozen times,moved 324 card from slot to slot,and just about every other trouble shoot option I know of over and over.This machine will just lock up with either a black bomb message or DP will vanish and the desktop will be blank and locked solid.I have considered bad ram,bad drive I just don't know whats goin on.
My system is:
G4/dual 533
512 mgb ram
MOTU 324 in slot 1
Second drive (ata 100@7200 rpm)might be
a problem in a ata 66 machine?
After trashing the preffs it will be ok for maybe 2 tracks maybe 4,6,8 crash. .
Any help would be great
Thanks
BT Finally a DP site

Comments

anonymous Thu, 05/03/2001 - 16:50

Natan I am not sure and motu isn't really sure about these machines either,from the conversations I have had with them.I can tell you this I have been using DP for a relatively long while on a number of different macs and this has been the toughest to get stable.But with 3.0 around the corner and a few growing pains this should be a great daw.Just remember it is a place where your audio+midi is stored for working on and don't try and make it do more than it can(200 plugs,500edits,89 tracks ect ect...)and it should be the host based system we have been waiting for.
BT

anonymous Fri, 05/18/2001 - 21:58

Reduce disk cache to 4022
512 meg ram
Buffer 1024
80000 ram setting to DP
screen resolution 800 by
6 Gig partitions on dedicated drive
Motu midi interface only(a must on this machine)
Base plus motu only exst(no oms)
This config has been going 5 days maybe 300 plus tracks without a crash on dual 533 if ANY one of the above is touched capooee....
Alun drop down menu thing is ram, either not enough in machine or not enough allocated to DP do you get error type 2 or 3 this is a motu memory error, if this dosn't help try trashing your DP preffs.

anonymous Fri, 06/01/2001 - 04:30

Well, I'm still having problems. I've tried using 2.71, 2.72, Freemidi 1.44, 1.45 and combinations of all. Given Performer more memory. I have tons or ram(640). I have had problems with installing the system software as well. Something about morsels. I could have a buggy machine. There are people on the motu-mac forum who have the same machine and are really stable. Go figure. If I can't get it to be stable when 3.0 comes out, there will be serious depression.

anonymous Fri, 06/01/2001 - 12:31

I would reinstall your os but before you do take out any ram that was not factory installed then when you get it back up install only the latest versions of DP & Free midi get it to open up and close at this point add back in your ram one stick at a time and each time you add a ram stick open DP to see how it works I think you will find the culpret a bad ram stick.You also might want to format the HD with this morsel thing goin on if you have to do a low level format.
Good Luck
BT

anonymous Fri, 01/25/2002 - 02:31

hi everyone i'm a new member just thought i would bump this old topic as i am running a dual processor 533 with 1.1 gig or ram and am seriously considering purchase of dp3.X .
is the 533 mhz a dud with dp or has the issues that the BT DP the origonal poster and others had been sorted out with the release of dp 3 .
I would really like to know as the combination of dp 3 and a 828 looks pretty deadly but no ones hard to sort bugs in DAW .
thanks any replies appreciatted .