Skip to main content

Wow, one of my favourite bands that went onto to having amazing solo careers. No autotune going on here. And we accepted it all. Glad I,made it through those years.
I loved their albums. Great engineering.
Its interesting to hear this now because I was so hard on myself trying to be perfect back then. Great musicians are not perfect either.

Accept for Phil Collins, amazing drummer. Brand X was some of his best work.

Enjoy...

Topic Tags

Comments

Davedog Thu, 01/12/2012 - 03:04

Steve Hackett was no slouch and Tony Kaye has always been one of my favorites. Mike Rutherford on lead bass. This was right before they recorded 'Selling England By the Pound' which along with 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' are some of my favorites pieces of music. They are, of course, complete works from beginning to end.

audiokid Thu, 01/12/2012 - 08:55

I have Selling England By the Pound on vinyl. It was a favourite . Its actually what I was thinking about while I listened to this video. My memory of the album is perfect. I would never have expected they would sound this normal, pitchy, live,
My point is I suppose, they sound a lot better in the studio than live. In some ways, not much has changed in 40 years. People sang just as out of tune back but we accepted it much better I think.

Davedog Fri, 01/13/2012 - 01:50

Peter looks about 20 in that video! And the double mic on the vocals tells me this is where they're getting the audio feed. One mic feeds the house and the other the recording mechanism. The monitors are probably old TV studio 'hangers' from the lighting structures, and are probably 10 feet or more away from them. At least they are LIVE.

RemyRAD Fri, 01/13/2012 - 12:19

Yeah, I remember the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and had that album when it came out, when I was still in high school. Back then, you had to have some talent and they had more than enough. Now no one needs to have any talent as highly evidential by today's substandard crap.

Phil Collins is super
Mx. Remy Ann David

jkleban Sat, 01/14/2012 - 19:59

Well, whether you prefer the sound of Genesis or not, chalk them up as another HELIOS Desk band... recorded Foxtrot, SEBTP and some of The Lamb in Basing Street... they used the Rolling Stone Mobile up in Wales somewhere (it too had a Helios Desk) for the rhythm tracks....

These albums are a good study in some of the vintage equipment that seems to be making a comeback. Johnnie Burns "engineered and produced" all these albums in Basing Street... also did the engineering on the Genesis Live album from back then.

Johnnie has been helping me with my little personal project on recreating The Lamb using MIDI and ITB production. What he can remember, he is very helpful and a generous man with information and knowledge.

Jim