Skip to main content

and when they say get a quiet graphics card, do they mean the fan itself inside the case? or do they mean "cross-talk" type noise from the circuits being so close to each other?

any advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

i ask because i want to get some good graphics for games between sessions. i'd keep the OS and games on their own drive, and a SEPARATE OS for the audio system and a 3rd drive for audio storage.

any thoughts?

Comments

anonymous Fri, 02/27/2009 - 07:30

Well, at least the console doesn't have to be running while recording. ;) That graphics card will be whirring away though, regardless of whether you're in your DAW or levelling your warrior in World Of Warcraft. Why does building a quiet computer and then having a separate device for games during downtime equate to awful advice? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Besides, you're talking about 2 sound sources now, the CPU fan and the graphics card fan. If your CPU fan is noisy as it is, why would you want to throw another gargantuan sound-transmitting device in the mix? Have you heard a gamer's computer case noise? I'm never sure if I'm supposed to load a game or wait for a checkered flag when I'm in front of one.

OP, whichever way you go, you need to account for the decision you make if you want the best recording environment possible.

Codemonkey Fri, 02/27/2009 - 14:03

"...equate to awful advice? Oh wait, it doesn't."

Does so. It fails to take into account the type of games you play and how you want to play them.
I would personally never game on a console if I could avoid it because I far prefer mouse/keyboard combinations.
Also, I prefer to have a bigger computer monitor and not a TV screen so I wouldn't get a console.
You can't play WoW on a 360, but I wouldn't play PGR4 on a PC either, unless I had a gamepad.

"a gamer's computer case noise?"

Hardcore gamers don't care, and use headsets anyway. Most of them don't try to run recording studios either, so in those cases, it matters about as much as pointing a fan at a hurricane hoping it'll blow away.

anonymous Fri, 02/27/2009 - 15:06

Codemonkey wrote: Most of them don't try to run recording studios either

Yea, but the OP clearly stated that he was building a machine that he could use for both gaming and audio projects. I'd assume that he wants to use it pretty regularly for audio too since he's worried about fan noise, not to mention the extra HDs and multiple OS installs he'll be running.

So I stand behind my assertion. If you don't like consoles, build a gaming rig. Using computers with massive fans in them and etc for audio projects is a rough endeavor though. I know someone that uses an Alienware laptop because in '06 it was pretty much the only lappie out there with dual HDs... recording's pretty simple for him because he's got a second room he ducks into for vox and instruments, but when he's mixing down he uses cans because he can't use his monitors at a low volume without having to listen to the fan noise coming from his laptop. And yea, that's just a laptop as well. So in response to the OP asking for thoughts, my thought is to save yourself the trouble and create solutions for each need, not just one solution that is supposed to cater to every need.

I'm worried about difficulties he may face with a souped-up computer, and you're worried about what kind of games he'll be able to play and D-pads versus mice and keyboards. I think that should illuminate where the disagreement lies. 8-)

anonymous Sat, 03/07/2009 - 11:45

thanks SO much guys, that was really helpful.

can anyone recommend a low noise, graphics card. something that will be used STRICTLY for audio.

i myself like mouse and keyboard games, RTS's to be specific.

and i'd FAR rather finish my darn record than play games, i just really like the idea of chilling out with some nice game graphics after recording that day. i COULD move the tower away, but we're using a firewire interface. best use a shorter firewire cable, eh?

thanks again for all your help

Reggie Sun, 03/08/2009 - 15:01

You could get one of the passive 9600GT cards like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125098
As long as you keep at least one decent-sized fan moving in the back of your case, you should be fine. Those Nexus 120mm fans are super quiet and move an adequate amount of air. I have one of those in my case along with a 550w Antec power supply and a 8800GTS card. As long as you use a quiet CPU fan, you shouldn't have too much noise problems. So far, my graphics card has not destroyed my ability to record and mix. 8-)