Skip to main content

hi guys!

i'm currently trying out the new GML 2030 master-comp.

being a Manley user the whole thing about the three types of detectors is a bit confusing.

do any of you have hands-on experience with GML?

any real-life advice about how to get the most out of it?

i know that it's a pretty new device (ser.no 0003) but my understanding is that the other GML comps works almost the same way.

i'll be back with more info on the sound of it... my expectations are sky-high

regards

rune

Comments

Michael Fossenkemper Wed, 03/17/2004 - 19:59

Sorry for the delay in people responding. getting used to the new site and trying to get used to it as i'm sure the others are too. I'm not familiar with the GML but i'm sure it's setup similar to the weiss compressor in that it has 3 parameters for release times. fast, average and slow. Basically it looks at the attack of the signal and then decides which release time to apply. The average parameter leans it towards the fast or slow. So fast attacks can have a faster release and slower has a slower release. Things to watch out for are fluttering low end, this will let you know that the release or the average needs to be increased a little until it smooths out. what are the parameters you are able to adjust on the compressor? don't worry, you'll get used to what everything does and then you'll love the flexibility. i would spend a couple of weeks putting it through it's paces before you tackle a session with it. At first you'll overcompress until you get used to it, so be carefull.

iznogood Fri, 03/19/2004 - 03:09

thanks for the input!

i've got it all figured out now... took a litttle getting used to but now it's all clear (as mud (y))

THIS MACHINE IS AWESOME!!!!!

it can be so punchy you won't believe it in hardknee mode and soft'n'nice in softknee mode

the ability to manipulate the peak/fast/slow aspect of the sound is so flexible !

i'm a believer!!!

rune

anonymous Sun, 03/28/2004 - 10:51

I have no experience on the new 2030...although I have been thinking about getting it since the day George announced it on his site. Anyway, I do have a 8900. I have never tried that on a mastering session but my experience with it on mixing is awesome. In my opinion, it is definitely one of the most versatile compressor out there.

Simon

x

User login