Skip to main content

Out of the loop for the last few years. Rebuilding the studio for the next CD. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on which Mic Pre would go good with my AT4050 and 002R set up. Looking for something around $1000 for male and female vocals, acoustic guitars. 2 channel would be cool.

The Apogee Mini MP has been recommended. Not sure about the difference between SS and Tube or whether the SS can give me the warmth I want.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

moonbaby Tue, 08/01/2006 - 06:23

In that price range, you could get a Grace 101 AND a GT Brick and have your bases covered. The 101 is great for that clean, transparent sound on acoustic instruments and vocals, the Brick makes a great "colored" voice and is also a great DI box. I use both with my AT4047s and have been very pleased.

anonymous Wed, 08/02/2006 - 11:00

Thanks folks. I think the question about balance between the AT, 002R and a $1000 Pre is good. Yeah, the I/O isn’t the greatest but OK, but will a good Pre help compensate? I haven’t bought my 002R yet and I don’t have the resource to A/B pres. I could spend a little more on the Pre, but I don’t want to over spend based on the other two components.

AudioGaff Wed, 08/02/2006 - 11:16

The mic pre's in the 002 are plane jane budget type that get the job done in the price point needed for the whole 002 product. Certaintly nothing to brag about.

A good and decent professinal mic pre starts at about $1000. And yes, you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to professional mic preamps. How much of difference and if you can hear or really benifit from the difference is a much different subject and depends on may variables. In the end, only you can decide if it makes a difference to you.

pmolsonmus Sun, 08/06/2006 - 04:14

The pres on the 002r are fine, but neutral and there is usually enough headroom. Doing a search for mic pres will give you all kinds of useful and useless information. I would seriously look into quality pres and more of the flavored variety. What flavor depends on your style and ear.
I too, use the Sebatron and the ability to daisy chain channels really gives me a ton of options regarding colored or "pure".

Good hunting,

x

User login