Skip to main content

I plan on recording myself on vocals, cello, acoustic guitar, maybe conga and tambourine with a Tascam 40GB 8 track. I'm seriously considering just getting two Shure 57s off ebay.

I'm also considering upright piano, but I'd need more than two mics for that, right? Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Topic Tags

Comments

jonyoung Wed, 12/05/2007 - 08:55

Well, he did mention perhaps recording piano. Also, congas come in pairs. Nothing says you have to use the same type of mic when using pairs, but it's a generally accepted practice, keeps the sonic profiles between the two tracks more similar. Also, condensers are a better choice overall for acoustic instruments and vocals because of the extended frequency response. Nothing against 57's, they're workhorses, but I use my 2020's way more than I use my 57's. I just think they're more versatile.

BTW, mellotron, two mics is fine for piano. If it's against the wall, pull it several feet away and mic from the soundboard on the rear of the box. I have a grand piano in my studio, typically only use two mics, occasionally throw a room mic in for ambience when needed.

anonymous Thu, 12/06/2007 - 06:55

Okay, cool, thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm considering dropping the congas, getting a MIDI keyboard like a Yamaha PSR-E403 and FL Studio or Cubase?, and just creating my own percussion that way. I'd have to figure out how to program beats, but I think it might be worth it money-wise considering all of the virtual instruments I could have at my disposal.

I'd still have to record live piano, since I'm not too fond of how it sounds with MIDI. Do sampled beats just sound more realistic than stringed instruments when using MIDI?

unclejemima Sat, 12/08/2007 - 23:20

There are some SICK vst's out, better than the real thing. Want a Bösendorfer but dont have 100g, this is the next best thing.

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/478/449/287.htm

54gb!!!! There are many others out, but i always try and get the most recent one for best sounds.
You have to have a good midi keyboard with weighted realistic keys, or it obviously will wreck the experience, but some of these programs are unreal!
Check some out and listen to their demos, pretty sharp!
-mark

mellotron wrote:
I'd still have to record live piano, since I'm not too fond of how it sounds with MIDI. Do sampled beats just sound more realistic than stringed instruments when using MIDI?