Skip to main content

I've won a $1,000 gift certificate in a George's Music contest and want to possibly get another mic for guitar cabinets. Can someone compare the Sennheiser e906 and 609 to a 57 for me? I would like a description of the sonic difference and if someone had a A/B soundclip of the two that would help as well.

Personal opinions/experience are also great. thanks

Comments

anonymous Tue, 03/04/2008 - 07:20

The 906 is pretty expensive new for what you get, but seems to be a pretty good value used. I don't have personal experience with them, but reviews I've read have said the 906 sounds fuller than the 609 and that the 3 way switch is very helpful.

Other than that, what I've heard is people say that the 609/906 work great for guitars and are much flatter, less colored sounding than 57s, which could be a very good thing in some cases.

A 906 on ebay is on my list of mics to buy.

BobRogers Wed, 03/05/2008 - 04:29

IIRs wrote: Ribbon Mic ;)

You know, that's actually the best suggestion yet. You already have a good dynamic mic for electric guitar. Sure you might like one of the Sennheisers better, but they are going to be in the same ballpark. A ribbon would be truly different and might really float you boat. The Blue Woodpecker and the Beyerdynamic M160 and M130 are all under $1K and Cascade has a bunch of very inexpensive ribbons that have been getting some good reviews (have not tried them myself).

IIRs Thu, 03/06/2008 - 01:01

Ribbons sound fat & warm, but also clear & articulate.

Compared to other dynamics: ribbons have bucket-fulls of the solid lower-mid range you expect from a good dynamic, but without the dulling of the highest frequencies and smearing of transients that usually goes with it.

Compared to condensors: ribbons are just as good at reproducing the complex overtones of a crash cymbal, but without the tendency to sound harsh and strident that is particularly common in cheaper condensors. Where a condensor will sound bright & glossy, a ribbon will give more of an earthy, matt finish.

Ribbons sound amazing on guitar cabs!

sshack Sat, 04/12/2008 - 09:59

Respectfully, 906s aren't expensive. I think I gave $179 for mine new. It's a warmer/less harsh tone than the 57. That can translate to a good sound alone, but can also tend to get lost in a mix depending on what you're doing or going after.

I most often use a 57 and 906 when tracking, sometimes a 57 and ribbon mic too, depending on which amp/guitar I'm using. When using a chimey EL84 I try to go easy on the 57 just because I'm already choked full of mids at that point. The 906 conversely can tame things a bit.

All in all, I think the 906 and ribbon mic are about as good suggestions as you're going to need for recording guitar.

Just some food for thought.

anonymous Sun, 04/13/2008 - 01:53

You're right, I checked some other prices on the 906 and it's not badly priced at all. I'm not sure where I found the prices I'd seen before. I actually just bought one online, waiting for delivery. I'm pumped, and very ready to use something other than an SM57.

Ribbons can sound great, especially on electric guitars. Very rich low end and midrange response with tamed (though still 'there') highs. Perfect for high gain amps. BUT...they're hard to get right. They're fragile, expensive mics and there are a lot of not-so-good ones out there. That said, there are some cool mods available too. I'm considering picking up an Apex 205 to mod and play around with to see what kind of tones I can get. Down the line I will probably end up with something in the $800+ range.

anonymous Thu, 05/08/2008 - 08:23

Well I've had some time with the e906 now and I gotta say I like it on guitars a lot more than an SM57. It's a smoother, flatter sounding mic with (in my opinion) a more musical sound. The 3 way switch makes it very versatile, and it can actually immitate a 57 pretty well (that aggressive, 'hairy' upper midrange spike) though with a stronger low midrange and more even bass response.

The only reason I have now to use a 57 on guitars is if I want a really gritty top end with a more hollow sounding low midrange. It'd be good for some aggressive styles but ultimately more harsh sounding.

I'd definitely suggest people pick this mic up.