Skip to main content

What's the difference between the two mics? Which do you recommend for male vocals? Or should I just hold out till the HM-1s are back in stock?

Thanks,
Tim

Comments

Midlandmorgan Fri, 05/20/2005 - 08:40

If I remember right, the 4033 was originally phased out, to be replaced by the 4040...but the public outcry damn near caused a riot...so (again - working from questionable memory here) AT re-introduced the 4033...

I've got one of the original older ones here, and use it on almost every project...about the only way its ever gonna leave here if someone decides they want to horsetrade a U47 or 251 for it...

Please...God....let the right people see this!

:shock:

maintiger Fri, 05/20/2005 - 11:39

Midlandmorgan wrote: I've got one of the original older ones here, and use it on almost every project...about the only way its ever gonna leave here if someone decides they want to horsetrade a U47 or 251 for it...

Please...God....let the right people see this!

:shock:

Good thing that dreamin' don't cost you nothin'... :P

JoeH Fri, 05/20/2005 - 11:40

Mumbles, I don't know who you're hanging out with, but I'd consider taking those 4050's off your hands fairly easily.... :twisted: What condition are they in, and what are you asking for them?

I guess I'm wrong about the 4033 being an FET. I must've read somewhere that it "Sounds FET-like" in use. Sorry about that. I can't seem to find any info at all now to back that up. Looks like the 4040 is a little quieter than the 4033. (4040 is 12db spl, and the 4033 is 17 db spl, if that sort of thing matters to you, at that level...)

The 4040 is newer, and again, perhaps slightly better specs, so the numbering system DOES sorta make sense. They DO look and sound a lot alike, but the capsule & mounting is different if you look at them closely.

True story: A while back, I bought a pair of 4040's. I liked them so much that I went and purchased a second pair, so that I'd have a set in each of my 2 live remote rigs. All was well for many remotes and great sessions. One day, I was looking up at a pair of them that were set up & caught in a spotlight, back-lit through the grilles (and looking pretty cool). I noticed the diaphragms didn't match up in size and design, and took a closer look.

Yep! At that moment, I found out I had a 4040 and a 4033 in my rig. (What the....????) I had done dozens of remotes with various bands and other rental companies by then, so it was anyone's guess who could have switched it accidently or otherwise, or even when it happened. (The thing is, I don't remember anyone at that time having used THEIR AT mics instead of mine, on any gig at all...) I called my local rep/supplier and asked him if he had any mics that were the wrong match, thinking he might have made a mistake when he sold 'em to me; he couldn't find anything missing...no extra 4040's and no missing 4033's.

So, somehow I ended up with one of each instead of a pair of 4040's. Finally about a month ago, I bought a FIFTH, single 4040 to make it all similar pairs again, and now I've got the spare 4033 in the rig. PERFECT for those moments when you've got a vocalist or acoustic instrument that needs some special attention.

Someone somewhere is walking around with my other 4040, thinking it's a 4033. Oh well..........

John Stafford Fri, 05/20/2005 - 17:09

JoeH wrote: One day, I was looking up at a pair of them that were set up & caught in a spotlight, back-lit through the grilles (and looking pretty cool).

Joe, you have to do this with a 4047 or 4060 -they look even cooler when the light is coming through the holes around the capsule! The 4060 in its mount is exquisitely intimidating -as if it wants to take a bite out of you 8)

Just thought I'd lower the tone of the discussion!

That whole pricing thing is nonsense really. In the UK, the 4033 is cheaper than the 4040, while in the US it's the other way. The 4060 is the equivalent of $2,750, the 4033a about $300 (maybe old stock). The 4033a if I remember correctly, was the version they were at when they stopped making it, but when the 4033 was re-introduced they stuck CL (CLassic?) onto the name and hyped the price up. It's still a bargain, whatever way you look at it.

The 4033 and 4060 have extremely well behaved polar patterns.

anonymous Fri, 05/20/2005 - 22:06

I've had a pair of 4033's forever but just sold one (why would anyone sell a perfectly good microphone?). i think they can be GREAT on some sources (I really like it as a shoulder mic on acoustic guitar with an SDC and on some vocalists and percussion). I do find them to bit pretty bright (sibilant) on some folks however and should be picked accordingly ; ) I don't know about the 4040 as I have not used one yet. AT makes a fine microphone. The 4060 is hot!

mckay