Skip to main content

hi all,

had anyone already the opportunity to work with/on one of the new Yamaha dm 2000?
share your experiences pls, especially regarding soundquality!

thx :w:

Comments

sdevino Thu, 06/13/2002 - 06:07

I had an opportunity to talk with Elliot Scheiner on Tuesday at an AES banquet. He told me he uses his DM2000 for his 5.1 mixes that he does at his home studio. He does the mixes 100% within the desk and does not use any outboard EQ or compression etc.

I should make it clear that he only uses it at his home studio. He still prefers analog and does most of his comercial studio work in analog when he can.

anonymous Wed, 06/19/2002 - 06:28

I'm spending a second afternoon with it tomorrow so I'll try report back on it afterwards. I have to decide if the onboard EQ/compression offer anything over what I've got in plugins other than sheer numbers. There were only 8 trks in so I had to dump sub groups through it and time ran short on that first visit. I'll get 16 in tommorrow so I should get a much better feel for the sound of the channels and fx.

The only thing I've heard through the mic pres were spoken voice from a 77D and a pair of jr velocity, they all sounded quite nice. We didn't compare them to anything else though.

I'm weighing this vs a Control 24 and some more nice outboard/pres and maybe the Dangerous summing box/Hedd 192. It certainly is a strange time to be shopping consoles but for better or worse I have the money now and need to get the 56 ch Mackie coffee table out of the way. It served us well for 8 years but now it must go! :w:

For me it has to sound better than my mixes internally in Pro Tools do or it isn't gonna fly.

I do love the solo contrast feature though... very cool!

Greg Heimbecker
University of Northern Colorado Recording Studio

Alécio Costa Mon, 06/24/2002 - 20:05

Hi friends! Hi Steve! The Brazilian (younger) is here too!!! heheh
I still use my PT24 connected to 2 adat bridges, going light piped to my 02R. I am thinking of upgrading this 02R and my 01V to a new 02R 96K true 24 bith. I do not want the same boring thread from DUC and Mix magazine in the middle of this site, but I have to hear for myself the real sound advantages of doing everything inside the box.
Any comments about the 02R 96K ? I have seen all the specifications, gate/comp/2 type 4band eq/32 tracks/56 channels/HD ready for 96k/4 efx units.

So.. what are your comments?

anonymous Thu, 12/19/2002 - 00:53

Originally posted by Greg Heimbecker:
I'm weighing this vs a Control 24 and some more nice outboard/pres and maybe the Dangerous summing box/Hedd 192.

Hi Greg,

How did your comparison end up ? I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I'm primarily wondering about the DM2000's ProTools control capabilities. Anyone ?

Cheers

M.

anonymous Sat, 01/04/2003 - 06:06

Hi,
I own the DM-2000. I original had the Mackie digital 8-bus. the DM-2000 is awesome. It is the best digital mid price range mixer out there. the mic pres sound great. the eq and compression is excellent. If you combine the board with some nice outboard analog ear. you will have the ultimate syudio. Leanne Rimes last album was mixed entirely on the DM-2000. jimmy Jam And terry Lewis replaced ther Helios console for a DM-2000 and also Timberland bought one also. It is a great board. The DAW control is great as well. I would pick one up. You will not be dissapointed passionmax@ntct1.com