Skip to main content

Hi Guys,

What do u think which one is a good mic preamp.
SPL Gold mike vs APHEX 207D. or any other in same price range
thanks

Comments

Cucco Thu, 10/27/2005 - 09:42

Well - the two pres you mention are worlds apart.

The 207D (I'm very familiar with the 107 and the original 207, not specifically the 207D, but I am also familiar with the majority of the Aphex line) is a good pre considering price per channel and so on, but in comparison to the SPL stuff - it's a slaughter.

The SPL pres are VERY nice pres (but take notice, these are serious tube pres, you will get coloration!) and utilize the tube in a correct manner, unlike the starved plate design of the Aphex.

In that price range - (between $400 and $1200 for a couple channels), you do have a few options.

Everyone here will chime in "THE BRICK." Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the brick. I've heard it a couple times and been pleased each time. However, my advice would be either:

1. Summit 2BA-221 - This is a SERIOUS tube pre. Correct voltage, variable gain stages, multiple inputs (you can actually DI a guitar and Mic a singer, vary the gains independently and output them together through the same tube output stage!) Oh, and it sounds FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! :D

2. Grace 101 - I can't say enough positive about these either. They're great pres despite the wall-wart!

3. FMR RNP - good pre, good price. nuff said?

4. True Systems P2 - good pre, not as transparent as some would say. Instead, very clean and a full sound, much like a good tube pre without the tube pushed to heavy distortion.

In general, my favorite pres in that price range are the summits. They are a VERY nice pre and can drive any microphone (even ribbons - they have over 70dB of clean, quiet gain.) Plus, given the multiple gain stages, you can really saturate the tube if you want a nicely driven, fully distorted sound.

J. 8-)

o2x Thu, 10/27/2005 - 10:47

The SPL pres are VERY nice pres

Yup I agree

these are serious tube pres, you will get coloration

yup there too

Grace 101 - I can't say enough positive about these either. They're great pres despite the wall-wart!

and here.

I also heard a DAV BG1 with other day too. I quite liked it. I'd give that a listen too. Very reasonable for a Dual pre of such high quality.

Not been fortuitous enough to hear the Summit in action yet, although i keep hearing good things about it. Must give one a go some day.

There are plenty of good quality pre's in your price bracket, get auditioning with a variety of mics and your bound to find one your happy with.

Cucco Thu, 10/27/2005 - 11:14

o2x wrote: Not been fortuitous enough to hear the Summit in action yet, although i keep hearing good things about it. Must give one a go some day.

They're good stuff dude!

I've got a release upcoming in which the majority of it is being tracked through the Summits. (Most guitars, vox, and drums - also electronic instruments - keys/synths, etc. Real piano and some guitar tracked through True, Grace, Millennia, Aphex 107, and Focusrite)

I'll put some samples up when I'm done (maybe a couple months) - you'll like! For $550 USD, you just can't go wrong!

J.

o2x Thu, 10/27/2005 - 13:07

Cucco wrote: For $550 USD, you just can't go wrong!

Wow, they cost that much in £ over here.

http://www.kmraudio.com/catalogue/product_info.php/cPath/27_37/products_id/163

Which Millennia are you using BTW, i've been looking at the HV-3C for a while - still weighing it up against the Flamingo.

I want it for VO work. (I do post/broadcast work if you hadn't guessed)

I'll very rarely use more than 2 different mics (U99, and Brauner Phantom - possibly an AT4047 when i get round to buying one). But by god the Flamingo gives that great kick ass bottom heavy typical 'massive' trailer sound when paired with the 99. It even made me sound like Barry White 8)

Sorry to go off topic.

x

User login