Skip to main content

I have recently been shown this mixing trick (encoding) and am quite interested in obtaining a stereo setup of these units myself for mixing. Anyone know where these suckers can be found? I've heard of them selling around

There are some 362 and 365 units out there, and I'm wondering if removing the low / low-mid processing is possible? The A301 has the pull cards.

Anyone using this technique / gear?



AudioGaff Thu, 08/28/2003 - 22:34

The boyz in Nashville use this trick a lot I've been told. My brother has the 365 unit but has yet to try this. Seems like it would create something way off in spectral balance to me, but mabe this what they like? I was thinkng to try and simulate this with a BBE or Aphex by turning down the LF knob and turning up the HF knob.

RecorderMan Fri, 08/29/2003 - 08:42

I don't know about nashville..seems a little to analog for that town.
It's a LA Keith Olsen via the Beatles trick. One can midifie a Dolby'A' Cat22 card to do the same thing as pulling the the two cards that on the Dolby Stretch 301 unit. The Cat.22 cards fit in the dolby 361(single channel) 365?(stereo channel) units. It's great on vocals. Has be used on a-gtr & piano. The Cat22 card need to be modded though. Two resistors get jumped. If you find the cards and want the mod. PM me and I can take care of it for you.


User login