Skip to main content

Well, thanks to Dan at Watt's Up Pro Audio in NYC, I finally have a vmp4000e on order. If only the distance between the continents were closer... I'm looking forward to this pup arriving, hopefully soon. I've wanted a multi tube preamp for a while. How are all you new owners diggin' your 2000 and 4000e's? What kind of mic combinations are you using?

Glad you had a great time in the city, Seb. I hope AES generates some killin' business for ya.

Martin

Comments

Bowisc Wed, 10/22/2003 - 05:43

I'm really diggin' my VMP too much.

414TL-II sounds like hot caramel.

I've been liking the Baby Bottle with Deep/Air, on acoustic guitars. It really adds sheen to the BB and lifts the bottom up for a huge sound.

- I was pretty surprised when using an SM-57 on a Marshall/2-12 amp. I had the Deep/Air (sometimes the "Bright") switches on, and the gain pretty far up. It really polished the '57 up nicely.

I like what it does to keyboard modules, samplers, and drum machines (D.I.). Just last night I was working on some R&B and was pushing the input hard... really gave the electronic sounds a surge of warmth and presence that was much needed. Punchy snares that don't get soft on you.

Bowisc

anonymous Wed, 10/22/2003 - 09:55

Kurt, thanks, too. Your review piqued my interest. I've had a U87 that's never really jumped out the way I thought it would...the right preamp being the key. I'm looking forward to the combo!

I'm glad to see that the C414 TLII and the Baby Bottle got thumbs up. I recently ordered the C414/SE pair (a cross between the BULS and TLII) which should be arriving tomorrow and just yesterday ordered the Baby Bottle. What timing....

MB

KurtFoster Wed, 10/22/2003 - 13:28

Originally posted by groovestix:
.... I've had a U87 that's never really jumped out the way I thought it would...the right preamp being the key. I'm looking forward to the combo! ....
MB

This is precisely how I felt about my U87 until I heard it through the VMP 4000. I think the comment I made was something like "the VMP makes my U87 sound like it looks!" The tube stage of the Sebatron is exactly what the U87 needs. I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Sebatron says he gets lots of comments like this, in regards to a U87 and the VMP..

anonymous Sun, 11/02/2003 - 04:37

Yes, Overheads are sweet through the vmp4000e. Dont be shy with the bright/air either, although it might be scary to commit to it while tracking, having done it more than a few times I have found that I dont need to touch up the eq later. Just dont do it on every other track as well. (not that you would)

Although the bright setting on the kick mic is awesome as well. :D

audiokid Fri, 11/14/2003 - 21:50

Exactly Alecio, the AD converters on those digital mixers going into PT sound like razor blades compared to a good tube pre like Sebs stuff straight into PT. Switch on analog and track into PT is what I do now. What a huge improvement. More level, imaging, smoother/warmer tone. Can't say enough. I always read about a good pre but not until I owned a "quality" one did I fully know the difference. Now I'm on track and understand what all the hype is about.

Having a good DAW and pre-amp is the ticket.