Skip to main content

You guys are the 'pros', so I'll try to explain my 'novice' self, here.
I just picked up this "Valley Audio 730 Dynamap" for next to nothing - $80.
Lucky 4 me, the manual is still online/.pdf. I have PC daw, and was wondering if this unit might out-preform any similar 'software' in terms of sound quality. This is my first outboard effect, and I have not set it up until I purchase some cables, and I am surely correct on the routings.
I have enough processing power & ram, so I don't need to turn to outboard gear to save Ghz's.
Q: Will I find it usefull enough to justify the effort and time of learning the manual, and configuring the many internal jumpers?
Any replys greatly anticipated. .REDRABBIT

Comments

AudioGaff Fri, 07/16/2004 - 23:15

Only you can decide if the unit is good for you and if it is better than what you have in software. Valley Audio has consitantly made good units that are above average. It is always worth the time to understand and master the skills in using a tool that you own. If it is the best you have to use, then use it. If it sucks or doesn't float your boat, then dump it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...

redrabbit Sat, 07/17/2004 - 02:04

reply from me

Yes, you are right, my ears are the best test.
I guess I am wondering if this unit is rather outdated...or not...and compatible with my system. Do studios still use it? And am I going to be headed toward a word clock module purchase by using it? I'm afraid I'm still on the learning curve in that area.
I have the all digital version- analog in/out @ 18bit conversion. Digital in/outs are said to be 20bit interface resolution.I'm using RME 9632 card and CubaseSL2.
The 730 has BNC ext. sync. either 75ohm out 'standard' or, ext. sync OUT looped w/ext sync IN, via jumpers. Which one? Need this concern me now?
Thank for replying so soon.REDRABBIT

AudioGaff Sat, 07/17/2004 - 11:11

A lot of studios have a lot of gear that may or may not get used often. Lot's of things that are or were outdated are now cool again. Like tube gear and tape based echo machines.

Depending on many variables with your setup and other gear you own, I'd likely just use it in analog mode first using it's internal clock and decide if you like it and want to keep it before I'd worry about connecting it up in the digital chain.

75Ohm is if the 730 is the last device in a digial WC chain and should have some sort of switch for WC termination on or off. EXT sync is if the 730 clock is syncd to an external clk, sync loop out is for daisy chainning the WC to another device's WC input.

anonymous Mon, 08/02/2004 - 06:40

Lets just start out by saying that the the 730 Dynamap was the most most complicated piece of equipment ever produced by Valley. Valley Audio, currently owned by my employer Galaxy Audio, is a company that was formerly Valley people and way back in the late 60's and early 70's it was Allison Research. Zappa was a Valley Audio finatic if that tells you anything. So any equipment you find from these companies, with the exception of the 730 are based around similar designs. The 730 is in a class all its own as far as Valley goes. With the exception of a few of the most recent models, Valley products were all analog designs. So when the 730 models were built, it was a huge step forward for the company since it is almost completely digital. I could explain the workings of it, but that would take forever and not make a whole lot of sense.
I personally use a 730 in my home studio and love the heck out of it, but it is definately not the easiest piece of equipment to learn. Although the manual is very complete and helpful in explaining exactly what is going on, if you don't have a grasp of the basics of threshold, ratio, gain, compression, expansion, de-essing, then this thing is gonna be very confusing. Luckily, there were several factory files placed into the eprom which should give you very good performanced for the application they were intended for. I could go on for a while, but I will end it here and just say that if you need any help with your 730, you can e-mail me and I would be happy to help you. All the technicians who work here and have worked here in the past love Valley equipment and are constantly fighting to keep it going with little luck, so e-mail me at NateO@GalaxyAudio.com so the boss knows people still love Valley. Oh, and by the way, $80 for that 730 is an abosolute deal. They retailed from $1500 to $2000 or more depending on the model.

redrabbit Mon, 08/02/2004 - 11:29

Now that's a reply I needed. Thanks Nate-O. I'll be in touch.
I found an electronics repair shop that buys stuff bulk from studios that have shut their doors. Thats what they tell me and if I did not believe them they would not get my $$.
Other items I'm thinking about for under $100ea :

JLCooper Synapse Midi Router
JLCooper CS-1 Control Station
Klark Teknik DN-735 Solid State Recorder
Klark Teknik DN-726 Digital Delay

Worth it?

They also have this stuff that I cannot use. I'm not sure what price:

Fairlight (controller keyboard) MFX-3plus
Sony VSP 8000 (video/audio mixing desk) + power supply.

( Email me : redrabbitlosangeles "at" yahoo.com)