Skip to main content

Im interested in getting a Bellari Tube stereo comp model #RP282a,has anyone had any experience with this unit--good and bad 8-)

Comments

anonymous Mon, 02/07/2005 - 16:04

Kurt Foster wrote: I had one for a while .... didn't like it.

If I recall correctly, its a VCA based compressor with tube amplifiers ... and as such it sounds pretty much like a VCA based compressor .. If you like that kind of thing then it may be what you want ... I prefer EL OP and FET compressors myself..

Kurt,good to hear from you.
If you wouldnt mind,explain what VCA,EL,OP and FET is.
Im looking for a good,nice and round sound tube compressor,something more so for vocals.
Price range (600.00) 8-)

KurtFoster Mon, 02/07/2005 - 16:33

I am not an electrical engineer ... so I really am not the person to ask .... Fletcher made a post a couple of months ago regarding the topology of many compressor types ... one of the best posts he ever made here IMO a great explanation... Search the archives for it. I'll look too, and if I find it I will post the link here.

I'll try to give you the basics as well as I understand them ...

VCA is voltage controlled amplifier. Essentially, this is an amp that has a detector in the circuit. When the detector senses the level is exceeding the set threshold ... it turns the amplifier down ..

ELOPs (LA2a's, LA3's LA4's and the Manley EL OP, Tube Tech and ADL LA2a clones, among others) use a light source and a photo resistor cell to sense when signal is exceeding the set threshold ... I cannot say how the attenuation is accomplished ... I just know that to my ear, it is the most natural sounding of all compressors. If you want an audible effect from a comp, EL OPs are not for you .. a vca comp would do better. If you want to pull 10 dB out of a signal without affecting the tonal content much or adding pumping and breathing effects, look to an ELOP.

FETs are comps like the UREI / UA 1176 .... and i really don't know didley about how they work .. The sound can get just a little ragged IMO when these comps are pushed hard ... this is what the distortion in the Distressor is supposed to emulate.. If you need a liitle edge added to the sound while controlling dynamics, FETs are great. I have a UREI 1178 and it gets a lot of use.

Maybe Fletcher will post and give you a better answer than mine .. which wouldn't be hard ... what I know about this is pretty sketchy.

anonymous Tue, 02/08/2005 - 12:17

Kurt Foster wrote: I am not an electrical engineer ... so I really am not the person to ask .... Fletcher made a post a couple of months ago regarding the topology of many compressor types ... one of the best posts he ever made here IMO a great explanation... Search the archives for it. I'll look too, and if I find it I will post the link here.

I'll try to give you the basics as well as I understand them ...

VCA is voltage controlled amplifier. Essentially, this is an amp that has a detector in the circuit. When the detector senses the level is exceeding the set threshold ... it turns the amplifier down ..

ELOPs (LA2a's, LA3's LA4's and the Manley EL OP, Tube Tech and ADL LA2a clones, among others) use a light source and a photo resistor cell to sense when signal is exceeding the set threshold ... I cannot say how the attenuation is accomplished ... I just know that to my ear, it is the most natural sounding of all compressors. If you want an audible effect from a comp, EL OPs are not for you .. a vca comp would do better. If you want to pull 10 dB out of a signal without affecting the tonal content much or adding pumping and breathing effects, look to an ELOP.

FETs are comps like the UREI / UA 1176 .... and i really don't know didley about how they work .. The sound can get just a little ragged IMO when these comps are pushed hard ... this is what the distortion in the Distressor is supposed to emulate.. If you need a liitle edge added to the sound while controlling dynamics, FETs are great. I have a UREI 1178 and it gets a lot of use.

Maybe Fletcher will post and give you a better answer than mine .. which wouldn't be hard ... what I know about this is pretty sketchy.

Kurt-----thanks for taking time to give me youre explaination.
Im willing to save more $$$ if needed to purchase a good tube comp.
Just have to do some more searching.
What would you suggest for a good tube comp Kurt? as far as Vocals 8-)

KurtFoster Tue, 02/08/2005 - 13:41

I would be happy to help. First, let me ask why you are set on a "tube" comp ... ?

Second, let me know what other gear you are using, what you are planning to do with your recording rig, what you need the compressor for and what kind of budget you have .. It makes no sense for me to recommend a $3000 compressor if you can't spend that kind of money.

anonymous Tue, 02/08/2005 - 14:44

Kurt Foster wrote: I would be happy to help. First, let me ask why you are set on a "tube" comp ... ?

Second, let me know what other gear you are using, what you are planning to do with your recording rig, what you need the compressor for and what kind of budget you have .. It makes no sense for me to recommend a $3000 compressor if you can't spend that kind of money.

Im using Vs880s (4 units slaved together),I use my KSM44 for vocals,I currently use an Alesis comp(the only one I have have at present),I have an ART tube pre,TC electronics wizard series finalizer,TC electronics Voice works,BBE sonic max,Mackie 1604,eqs,effect racks,eqs,etc...
Ive been recording mostly originals from my band,Im really happy with the out come on the musics part,but I feel I need work on the vocal part.
From what you can see,I dont have a high end home studio.
I guess Im under the impression that a Tube comp,will give me that nice round "with slight effect" sound.
Im really shooting in the dark,and it doesnt help matters knowing full and well that I havent had any other expeirence with other compressors.
THe TC Voiceworks,great unit,but the compression (in my opinion) needs help.
I know Ill never get that true MILLION dollar studio sound,but Ive got that recording itch in me that has taken control,and I know myself,Ill try most anything :x

KurtFoster Tue, 02/08/2005 - 16:02

I would normally recommend a comp like the Tube Techs, ADLs, Manley EL OP or the LA2a for tube compressors... things like that are where the "tube comp" thing gets good .. but in your situation I think this is a bit out of your price range and would be "overkill"..

I also question if a tube compressor is going to deliver what you are trying to achive ...

See if you can beg borrow or steal a PreSonus Eureka channel strip ... it has an el op type compressor in it and at the level your at, would likely be a good addition to your studio .. (it streets for about $500)

Another solution might be to get a tube in the path by using a tube mic ... The Studio Projects line is very good for the price, build quality is right up there and customer service is second to none .. The tube offereing from them is the T3 tube LD condenser .. I want one of these myself (actually I would love to have the stereo version of it the LSD ... )

anonymous Tue, 02/08/2005 - 18:22

Kurt Foster wrote: I would normally recommend a comp like the Tube Techs, ADLs, Manley EL OP or the LA2a for tube compressors... things like that are where the "tube comp" thing gets good .. but in your situation I think this is a bit out of your price range and would be "overkill"..

I also question if a tube compressor is going to deliver what you are trying to achive ...

See if you can beg borrow or steal a PreSonus Eureka channel strip ... it has an el op type compressor in it and at the level your at, would likely be a good addition to your studio .. (it streets for about $500)

Another solution might be to get a tube in the path by using a tube mic ... The Studio Projects line is very good for the price, build quality is right up there and customer service is second to none .. The tube offereing from them is the T3 tube LD condenser .. I want one of these myself (actually I would love to have the stereo version of it the LSD ... )

Thanks again for youre time Kurt,Ill look into a PreSonus--------------BTW-------what do you mean when you mention "channel strip?"

anonymous Tue, 02/08/2005 - 18:34

Well Kurt---------I spotted a couple of PreSonus Eurekas on E-bay,new in box,free shipping for 499.99.
According to the ad,it utilizes the FET to simulate tape saturation,and or the round sound of a tube comp 8-) .
Ill keep looking into this one-------------------again-----------thanks Kurt!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-) 8-)