Skip to main content

$469 bucks deal ends today.

Pentium-4 2.53GHz, 128MB DDR, Dell KB/Mouse, XP Home, 60GB, 48x CDROM, 32MB Rage Video, Integrated Audio, 10/100 NIC, 1-yr Warr.
I've actually seen slightly better deals, but if someone needs one now...

I took this from http://www.bensbargains.net/

Expiring today. Choose >Desktops >Dimension >Dimension 4550 Featured Systems >Customize $499 system: Free 60GB Upgrade, Your total is then $599 - 5% coupon 6687583F8226 [Exp 3/26] - $100 rebate [Exp 3/26] = $469 with free shipping.

Gary is this a good starting platform for a DAW?

Topic Tags

Comments

Pez Fri, 03/21/2003 - 06:16

Put a gig of DDR ram in there and an extra hard drive and you're good to go assuming there's no strange configuration in there that would screw up your audio. It might be good to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch. It won't be as easy to upgrade as a home made computer but at those prices you could just buy a new one every year!

anonymous Fri, 03/21/2003 - 06:19

It's not the way to go cause it comes pre-loaded with so much crapola you'll spend the rest of your living days trying to get rid of the popups that appear in the middle of your best takes.

You also don't want to be on tech support with Dell while your clients or friends are waiting around to record.

So if you're gonna take the plunge and be a PC musician, build your own so you know what's in there and can troubleshoot it yourself.

Tommy P. Fri, 03/21/2003 - 11:24

Hey dudes, I'm not getting one yet! I am the proud owner of an original "co-designed at RO " homebuilt ANUS :cool: I may pick up an extra pre-built comp eventually though, from Dell or wherever.

This deal is over, but there's always new ones. You couldn't buy these parts and an OS license for even close to 469usd. Last 11/02 there was an even better deal with a burner,DVD, and 15" LCD, thrown in for under 600usd.

If no one objects, I'll post them as I see them. I love building comps, but I recognize there'll be lots of people visiting RO that would appreciate a heads up on deals for a DAW or just to have an extra comp.

This one was good because of the larger case, and extra goodies.

BTW, Walter, if you format the hard drive and install only what you require, there shouldn't be any pop-up ads!

Tommy P.

anonymous Fri, 03/21/2003 - 23:37

If no one objects, I'll post them as I see them. I love building comps, but I recognize there'll be lots of people visiting RO that would appreciate a heads up on deals for a DAW or just to have an extra comp.

That's a great idea Tommy. Why not start a thread called "Deals" or something like it. I would, but I don't have any deals to post about, lol.

Pez Sat, 03/22/2003 - 08:21

A lot of us (myself included) have built their own pcs. It's easy to get elitist and insist it's the only way to go. If you want to go the prebuilt route then I would suggest checking out RME's site for examples of computer systems that seem to be working well for a majority of users with digital audio as there are some problems with certain systems. If you build your own computer you're going to have to install the operating system and programs anyway. It's not any harder to reformat a prebuilt system and start from scratch as well. If I got one I would first try loading up the software with the system as is and see if it works. I've got an old Dell at home that works fine without any tweeking whatsoever.

x

User login