Skip to main content

Low Volume Output, what could it be?
I had 2 these microphones in storage for at least 7 years. When I pulled them out of storage recently and tested them, one of the microphones have an extremely low volume output (and has a weird tinny phasey sound on vocals) while the other is normal and hot. What could be causing a low volume output? I called up AKG and they said if I sent it in for repair it could cost anywhere from $150-$500. Which is basically how much the microphone is worth. Any help to point me in the right direction or if anyone has any audio guys to recommend in LA or NYC.

Topic Tags

Comments

pcrecord Wed, 04/18/2018 - 06:41

An old AKG 414 B-ULS is worth more you think. Many are looking for those because their sound is different from the newer versions.
Unless the humidity was controled in your storage, I would think of this first. Putting them in a rice bag for a week could eliminate humidity in the capsule and could be your answer.
Other than this, a certified technician would check if the voltage is accurate at different point in the circuit in order to identify if a part is off specs and replace it.
150$-500 is a safe way to get it back in shape. Ask local electronic shop if they are confident to work on it.. who knows..