Skip to main content

What is everyone using for Mic/Preamp/Converters into Pro Tools that gives more of that warm analog feeling to the recording? I have a RODE NTK, Avalon 737, and using the Digi001 converters at this time. I've looked at converters by Lucid, Apogee, RME, Waves L2 Ultramaximizer, CRane Song.
At present moment PTLE can record at 24 bit/48k max., however an upgrade is inevitable to at least 96k in May.
Lastly what it the best way to hook the converter to the Digi001 for A/D? SPDIF/ADAT lighpipe?
How about D/A?
Thanks much.
Allen :)

Comments

anonymous Tue, 01/22/2002 - 01:59

Hi Allen,

I use the TC Electronic Gold Channel, providing 2 very good quality pre-amps and 24-bit AD/DA by optical SPDIF into the Digi 001 PCI card. It also has great compression / gating / EQ / de-essing dynamics. Midi controllable and memory card options too. I pass everything through the gold channel now, greatly improved sound. Also use it as digital clock source.

Simon :)

anonymous Tue, 01/29/2002 - 04:30

Hi everybody. Jsquare, I am new to PT and have had the 001 for about a year now. One of the first things I read in the manual was that proper levels were up in the yellow area of the track level strips in the mixer window of PT. I have had a heck of a time getting the signal into that range. I am recording acoustic instruments mostly, Native American flute among them. I kinda think the guys that are micing amps and percussion don't have this situation due to the high SPL of their sources.

The first thing I tried was buying a BlueTube which gives me all the boost I need but it does add some noise. I am soon to be upgrading my mic situation. On the advice of someone more knowledgeable than I, I am looking at large condenser mics using phantom power now. I will try this to see if they will output a stronger signal than the small battery powered sterio condenser mic (an AT822 if you're interested) I bought first.

If that doesn't do it I am thinking about a small mixer. But, again based on some advice I was given, keeping the input chain as simple as possible reduces the chances of component artifacts that are added with every additional device in the chain.

I also plan on buying some high quality cables.

I guess the goal is to get as high a quality source recording into PT and onto the hard drive and then tweak it as necessary in the mix.
I hope this is helpful.
:)